Suggest a 7 String

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredtheater

Reaction score
At the moment im currently use an Ibanez Prestige 1527 as my 7 string. I mostly play a EBMM JP 6 string but i do like to break out the 7 string as alot of my favourite players seem to use them nowadays. Anyhow, I just cant get comfortable with my 7 string, not because of the extra string but well, firstly the pickups are too weak, the neck style is too fat and finally because i hate floyd rose systems. I am seriously considering selling my ibanez and buying a new one, any suggestions. These are the things that are important to me:

No floyd rose if possible, a trem bar is great but not a on a FR.

No EMG pickups, they sound awful, passive pickups only

Good access to the high frets like a Musicman, Ibanez's have poor access imo

and finally, a nice neck.

In an ideal world a EBMM JP7 would be nice but i just thought id check out what else is on the market, things i dont know exist.

One more thing, no ibanez's Universes or any ibanez's please.

Thanks!

Ibanez 7420, or 7620. Yum, waiting to get a 7 myself.

Check out this too:
interceptorblackflame1.jpg

don´t get the ibanez RG 7420. it´s got a very bad floyd rose.
I would buy a ibanez universe or rg7620 or even a Caparison 7string.
some say the cheap scheckter is a bargain but i don´t know

Well my friend the problem is you !

How can you said that 1527 has a fat neck ???!!!

You hate FR but you bought a guitar with FR !!!!!

Yes pups are weak as the same in every guitar,so change them as almost 99% of us do !!
1527 neck is the most confortable neck I ever played,it's better than my 6 strings !!
Don't expect thinner necks on other labels :wink:

Depending on your funds check out Caparison 7 strings.....those things are sick. If you're not aiming to spend that much cash, then check out Schecter and ESP. They have some good 7 string models that are a little different than the standard Superstrat shape. Also, check out the Dean Razorback 7...may not be your style at all, but it's just worth looking at haha.

-AJH

You already know how amazing the Music Man JP6 is since you have one. The JP7 is one string better! If you want to spend MORE cash, spring for the F1 -- John's new model from the BFR line (Ball Family Reserve) -- it has a flamed maple top over a mahogony body. That body is John's new fav, and the only guitars he used on the new DT album.

With the thin/narrow neck, vintage custom trem, and the DiMarzio pickups, you already know that the guitar will be amazing.

I love my JP6 and wouldn't want the mahogony bodied version because the light weight is something I love about the basswood JP6. And there's nothing wrong with having two similar guitars -- in fact, it means you don't have to mess with all of your amp settings when you go back and forth from a JP6 to JP7.

Scott

I think the schecter c-7 blackjack is really nice, set neck, no FR, seymour duncan JB and 59 pups, nice set neck (for me anyway). It's next on the list for me.

Back