Stupid Tube question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogger

Reaction score
So I've decided to get a Mesa F30 and I've all but pulled the trigger on it.

What I need to know is... what BRAND tubes are compatible with this Mesa? Mesa just renames the Sovtek tubes as their own right? Any other brand of tubes that will work with this amp and not run too hot or too cold?

Just curious if I can get a decent brand of tubes at GC or Sam Ash that will work with the F30. I don't have a boogie dealer in my area, so the tube situation worries me. I'd rather not order online and just walk into a store to get tubes.

Thanks.

many tubes will work however mesa reccomends using their tubes, which
are available at GC. i just got my f30 and i LOVE IT!!!
as far as the preamp tubes go, they are all interchangeable.
different types will give you different sounds but no modification to
the amp is needed. as far as your EL84's go, mesa ones will
drop right in and be the correct bias. if you want to use something
else, talk to mesa directly or the tube maker directly before you
go wasting money on blowing out tubes way-too-quick or possible
damage to your amp.
but before you worry about all that, go buy your f30 and rock out!!!

I personally stick with Mesa tubes. I don't know who is the original manufacturer for Mesa's tubes, and to me, their tube testing and matching process is what makes a difference. I also believe that if Randall Smith could find something better, he would be using them stock. I know many forum members swear by this tube or that one, but I think that is just individual appeal....(isn't everything?)

Anyway...my opinion sticks with Mesa....good enough for the Home of Tone...good enough for ol' Red Barchetta.

RB

I ordered 2 winged C 6l6's from tubedepot and the CSR claimed they supply Mesa with the former Svetlana's now called winged C. I replaced the stock Mesa tubes and am very happy with the tone/quality. BTW, a set of matched was about 36 bucks shipped.

Red Barchetta said:
I personally stick with Mesa tubes. I don't know who is the original manufacturer for Mesa's tubes, and to me, their tube testing and matching process is what makes a difference. I also believe that if Randall Smith could find something better, he would be using them stock. I know many forum members swear by this tube or that one, but I think that is just individual appeal....(isn't everything?)

Anyway...my opinion sticks with Mesa....good enough for the Home of Tone...good enough for ol' Red Barchetta.

RB

Mesa recomends using their tubes so they can make more money off you, simple as that.

Theres nothing special about these amps that makes them only able to use Mesas.

Check out Eurotubes.com
great prices that easily beat mesa, not to mention I like a lot of their tubes over Mesa.

Latest posts

Back