Studio Series Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pohnee

Reaction score
Hello. I have a Mesa Studio Series 1X12 Combo amp and I have a couple questions.
-First, on the back of the amp there is a Ground Selection Switch. What is the proper selection for this switch "A-B or Off?" I plug the amp into a 110V Grounded outlet.
-Second, The model I have has the EQ Option. What does the "EQ Auto" Switch do?
-Third, when connecting the amp to an external speaker cabinet what is the best way to plug in the internal speaker and the external speaker cabinet, i.e.: plug the internal to 4 ohm and external to 8 ohm or vice- versa? Is there any problem powering two speakers this way?
Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1. Leave the ground switch in the "Off"position--unless moving it to A or B definitely helps reduce buzzing from outside sources. In the Off position the amp can't be a cause of shocks.
2. Auto EQ position means the EQ is on in the Lead Mode only and off in the Rhythm Mode.
3. If you plug in an external cab, it's best to use an 8 ohm cab and plug both the ext. cab and the amp's internal speaker into the 4 ohm jacks.

Check out the mesa web site and they have a pdf of the manual for most all of the amps past and present and most of your questions will be answered there.

Thanks for the info. On the last question, you say to plug both speakers into 4 ohm inputs. I have one 8 ohm input and one 4 ohm input on the back of my amp. Does it matter which speaker I connect to the 4 or 8 ohm input? Thanks again for the info..

pohnee said:
Thanks for the info. On the last question, you say to plug both speakers into 4 ohm inputs. I have one 8 ohm input and one 4 ohm input on the back of my amp. Does it matter which speaker I connect to the 4 or 8 ohm input? Thanks again for the info..

I've got the same question...there's one 8 ohm and one 4 ohm, and I want to use an 8 ohm extension cab. Thanks.

Tom

I'll take a stab at it.

The speaker jacks on the back panel are output transformer taps.
To run at its most optimum performance you should use the appropiate speaker load for these jacks.

Layman's term. Say you want to use your internal speaker 8 ohms, and an external speaker cabinet also rated at 8-ohms. Somehow you going to have to rig something up (speaker y cable for example) where you combine both speakers together (in parallel) then plugged into this 4 ohm jack.

If you have an external speaker cabinet rated at 4 ohms, then plug straight into the 4 ohm jack. Don't use the interior speaker.

Well that's the impression I get from my manual.

Oh... That sort of surprised me as all the Boogies I've owned (mostly Mark II's & III's ) all have had two 4ohm jacks and one 8ohm jack.

I looked at the on-line Mesa manual for a .50 Cailber and sure enough it mentions it only has one 4 ohm and one 8ohm jack. It says to plug your internal speaker in to the 8ohm jack and when adding an extension cab (8ohms, I assume) to plug that in to the 4ohm jack.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/50%20Caliber%20Series.pdf

DW, you are correct, same with my Mark II, but strange as it seems, the Studio .22 is different :?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Studio%2022%20Plus.pdf

wait (after reading the manual) ... you know what, I don't have my Studio .22 with me (at my girlfriend's house) so I got the impression it has one 4 ohm jack so that's why I mentioned the above. PFD don't have the rear panel. I actually think the Studio .22 has two 4 ohms jacks.

Aw guys, scratch what I just said above. :oops:

The newer .22 amps may have two 4 ohm inputs, but my Studio Series, pre .22 Caliber, amp has an 8 and 4 ohm input jack. I've got a call into Mesa to try and clarify. I don't want to screw up the amp or the cab. I'll post my findings when I hear back from them. Thanks.

my studio22+ has two 4 ohm outs and one 8 ohm (used for internal speaker). A few days ago i connected a 2*12 box (8 ohm), disconnected the internal speaker and plugged the box into that one.

sorry to go offtopic, but, gosh, that sounded unbelievable. Stunning. :twisted:

My Studio Series amp is one of the first production models that only had 2 speaker inputs, one 4 ohm and one 8 ohm. Only the first 100 or so Studio Series amps were like this. They then went to two 4 ohm and one 8 ohm inputs. The rep at Boogie told me this. He also told me that the proper way to connect an auxillary speaker cabinet (at least what I am using, which is a 1X12 8 ohm Black Shadow Electro-Voice Boogie) is to connect the internal speaker to the 8 ohm input and the external cabinet to the 4 ohm input. Thanks for the feedback, now I can crank it up! :D

pohnee said:
My Studio Series amp is one of the first production models that only had 2 speaker inputs, one 4 ohm and one 8 ohm. Only the first 100 or so Studio Series amps were like this. They then went to two 4 ohm and one 8 ohm inputs. The rep at Boogie told me this. He also told me that the proper way to connect an auxillary speaker cabinet (at least what I am using, which is a 1X12 8 ohm Black Shadow Electro-Voice Boogie) is to connect the internal speaker to the 8 ohm input and the external cabinet to the 4 ohm input. Thanks for the feedback, now I can crank it up! :D

Interesting, then I too must had one of the first 100 or so because I could have sworn I have only one 4 ohm jack like yours that's why my first post suggestion. Mine is a Studio .22+.

Question: Did you bring yours back to factory or an authorized dealer when you first got it? I had this "ghost" static in the background noise. So it was still in warranty. I got it back and they said it was a factory defected that was corrected on the newer production.

pohnee said:

I guess this is what I've got...serial number 149 or something like that. Anyway, this is great info...I just bought a Geezer 1x12 cab with a Celestion Greenback in it...sounds awesome (if you don't count the fact that there's a problem with the volume radically changing...but that's another post!)
Thanks!

Tom

So a Celestion Greenback .... what a coincident, I was considering that speaker when I first got mine but never got around to it and stayed with the stock "Jensen sounding" Eminence.

I just bought a 5751 preamp tube (gain between 12AX7 and an 12AT7, I think because some tube guru is going to suggest I review my preamp tube information) for the V1 socket to lower the saturated gain.

I do have a very small static noise when it is turned up past 5 or so, but I thought was always part of the amp. I rarely play it very loud. I did take it to Mesa a couple years back and had them do a thorough look-see and they said everything was fine with it. They did not mention the "noise" issue, but I didn't ask either.

RR said:
pohnee said:

Interesting, then I too must had one of the first 100 or so because I could have sworn I have only one 4 ohm jack like yours that's why my first post suggestion. Mine is a Studio .22+.

Question: Did you bring yours back to factory or an authorized dealer when you first got it? I had this "ghost" static in the background noise. So it was still in warranty. I got it back and they said it was a factory defected that was corrected on the newer production.

Latest posts

Back