Studio 22+ reverb tank (replacement)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
Whats the best reverb tank to replace the original tank on a studio 22+. The original quit working , I pulled a tank from a different amp and it works fine so I know that's the problem. THANKS

There are only a couple of companies making new reverb tanks. I built a Princeton Reverb clone last year and it came with a Mojotone tank which is the same as a Revisit tank and a Mod tank, if I recall. Belton makes Accutronic tanks.

None of them sound as good as an older tank. They're harsher, more metallic, though they seem to mellow with use.

I experimented with 4 reverb tanks in this amp and prefered the Mojotone/Mod/Revisit tanks over Belton/Accutronics.

Don, thanks for the info, that gives me some options to research. Is there any criteria I should look for to make sure it's compatible with the studio 22+ / Ohms- amps - ect ?

There should be a number stamped on the tank. The one in my '89 .22+ is 8AB2A1B. 8 indicates that it's a 3 spring tank.

Antique electronics has a lot of information.

Don said:
There should be a number stamped on the tank. The one in my '89 .22+ is 8AB2A1B. 8 indicates that it's a 3 spring tank.

Antique electronics has a lot of information.

Mine has the same code. I guess most people know that each number (or letter) means something per specifications , I didn't.

8 = short tank 3 springs (as you mentioned)

A = 8 ohms input impedance

B = 2250 ohms output impedance

2 = medium decay time (1.75 - 3.0 sec.)

A = input grounded - output grounded

1 = no lock (?)

B = horizontal mount, open side down (guess boogie disregarded that, mines mounted vertical)

Thanks again Don for the info, had I not asked I might have got the wrong tank, I was going to just buy off e-bay (because it was vintage)

UPDATE - Now I'm reading sellers referencing the "A" as 10 ohm input and the "B" as 2575 ohm output . Would that little bit make a difference?

The impedances are slightly different for 2 spring and 3 spring tanks. The difference is not enough to cause a problem. Make sure you're looking at a 3 spring tank to keep the sound the same as stock.

BTW, you can install a long tank in the amp though it'll make very little differnce in sound (I tried). It's the reverb circuit itself that makes the reverb in these amps not as strong as in other amps.

Don said:
The impedances are slightly different for 2 spring and 3 spring tanks. The difference is not enough to cause a problem. Make sure you're looking at a 3 spring tank to keep the sound the same as stock.

BTW, you can install a long tank in the amp though it'll make very little differnce in sound (I tried). It's the reverb circuit itself that makes the reverb in these amps not as strong as in other amps.

Thanks Don, I just bought a 3 spring Mod short tank so I can just take out the old one and replace it. That way I don't have to deal with modifying the leads, I can just screw it down, plug it in and I'm good to go. Thank you again for your help !!!!

I put a full size reverb tank in mine (I should say, my tech did), and it made a LOT of difference.

Don said:

BTW, you can install a long tank in the amp though it'll make very little difference in sound (I tried). It's the reverb circuit itself that makes the reverb in these amps not as strong as in other amps.

tonejam said:
I put a full size reverb tank in mine (I should say, my tech did), and it made a LOT of difference.

:? :? :? Well, I played it for an hour or so with the long tank from my C+, will report back when I get the new short OEM style tank in and give my A/B report.

If it's an old US made tank, I think you'll much prefer the long tank from your C+. That makes a bigger difference than tank size.

I compared my .22+'s US made short tank with an imported long tank of similar specs and was underwhelmed.

Buster Leggs said:
Don said:

BTW, you can install a long tank in the amp though it'll make very little difference in sound (I tried). It's the reverb circuit itself that makes the reverb in these amps not as strong as in other amps.

tonejam said:

:? :? :? Well, I played it for an hour or so with the long tank from my C+, will report back when I get the new short OEM style tank in and give my A/B report.

Got the mod replacement tank today. Before I mounted it into the studio 22+ out of curiosity, I hooked it up to the same C+ I took the long tank out of to trouble shoot the reverb on 22+. The mod sounded WAAAY better in the C+ than the 22+. So that definitely makes the point, the reverb circuit of the 22+ lacking in some way. Fortunately I'm not a huge reverb guy so reverb dimed should be enough for me when I do use it. But if reverb is your thing, I would try to find a vintage tank if your not happy with what you have or want spring reverb replacement.

After using it for a few hours on Sat night. The reverb is actually better than I first thought. I put a Mod replacement tank (new unit) and found I was running it at about 5-6 when I do use it. I often use DDL instead. Just wanted to correct my earlier comment, I basically said it was only useful on 10. I stand corrected. However if the lush fender twin reverb sound is what you need, I still say get a vintage long tank.

I have the reverb on mine (the original Accutronics tank) set to just over 3 and I get as much reverb as I typically need.

I tried the long tank (recent imported Accutronics) in my amp again last night and had the same results as before- it sounds similar to the short tank with a touch more reverb- the knob can be set about one point lower. Even on 10, it's never as strong or lush as the reverb in my Vibrolux Reverb. I think the 22+'s reverb is more usable at higher levels, though.

Latest posts

Back