studio 22+ question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftyexplorer

Reaction score
do any of you guys know anything about the mesa boogie studio 22+

which mesa boogie amp is it comparable to sound wise??
whats the going rate for one??
does it have a good lead channel??

thanks,

any help will be greatly appreciated

i have the studio.22+. There are two versions, with and without +, the difference between them is that the "+" version has lead master which is a gain/volume control for lead channel which the non+ version doesn't have. I also read that the + versions have an improved fx-loop, but i dunno about that.
Both version may and may not come with an onboard graphic eq, mine doesn't have it so i use a boss ge-7 in loop, it works excellently.

I absolutely love this amp, the tone is simply stunning, both clean and drive. I haven't tried a mark III but i know that a lot of people compare it to the mk3. It can get pretty high gain (think metallica MoP and AJFA era), the clean is really really good, best i've heard. It is a loud mofo, can hold with a band without problems. Sound good on bedroom levels, too. It's really versatile, you can get glassy clean, bluesy crunch, ac-dc crunch, metallica tone, santana tone.. i understand why they named it "studio" :wink:. You absolutely must use this amp with a graphic eq, it's the key to the sound, it really doesn't sound half as good without the graphic. I'm not from the states, but i think people usually sell them around 450-550$ overthere.. overhere it's like 700-800 if you're able to find one :roll:

To me, this amp is a keeper, i might buy some other amps in future but i won't ever sell this amp, never, that's for sure.

i made some clips with it:

miked with an sm57:SC4-57

miked with a 2.5$ genius pc-mic:
Fishy-remastered
NYE
Random

it's preamp with boss ge-7 directly to pc, used voxengo boogex cab sims:
Studio.22+ demo
Imperial March - Darth Vader theme

here's a joke clip that i made yesterday, miked with an sm57:
Pentagram of Pain - The Church is on Fire :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey mrmot, I just recently got a studio .22. I was wondering if you could share some of your settings I love that clean sound you are getting and also the sound in your fishy remastered mp3. I am having a hard time getting a good heavy distortion sound, as I think I am going about the eq wrong. This is my first boogie ever!

porkchop said:
Hey mrmot, I just recently got a studio .22. I was wondering if you could share some of your settings I love that clean sound you are getting and also the sound in your fishy remastered mp3. I am having a hard time getting a good heavy distortion sound, as I think I am going about the eq wrong. This is my first boogie ever!

Hey, glad you like my tones :wink:
This is my first boogie too, i've had it for about a year now.. it took me a couple of days to get an usable sound from it, more than a week of tweaking to fully understand the controls :lol: They really differ from "other" amps in terms of control reactivity and sensitivity

here are the distortion settings on the "fishy-remastered" clip:

volume = 2
master = 1.3
lead master = 6
treble = 9
bass = 5.5
mids = 0
reverb = 2
presence = 8.4

boss ge-7 settings (in loop) :
100Hz +9
200Hz +4
400Hz -4
800Hz -7
1.6KHz -8
3.2KHz -3
6.4KHz 0

i can't find the settings i used for cleans, but i remember that i dialed it really similar to these settings. Don't let the treble=9 and mids=0 scare you. IMO, the treble control is the essential control on this amp, below 7 it works like a normal treble control but above 7 it adds gain, mids and treble, so you really have to fiddle with it to understand how i works. Also, this was recorded on bedroom levels (master = 1.3) so the presence is high too, i usually keep it around 4-5 in a band situation.

Read the manual, it's VERY well written, you can really learn a lot from it. There are also some basic settings in the manual, they are really good as starting points. If you don't have it, download it from the M/B site.
Good luck! :wink:

What speaker does your Studio 22+ have? Is it the stock Vintage Black Shadow?

Daevid said:
What speaker does your Studio 22+ have? Is it the stock Vintage Black Shadow?

yes.
But i soon plan to build a 2*12 cabinet by myself. 2 Vintage 30's in it. I tried connecting the studio.22+ to a home-made 2*12 V30 cabinet and it sounded :shock: :shock: Simply amazing. :D

Mmm... i was planning on building my own 1 x 12 cabinet with a V30 in it... i might as others have done change the stock speaker for a second V30 :D

Daevid said:
Mmm... i was planning on building my own 1 x 12 cabinet with a V30 in it... i might as others have done change the stock speaker for a second V30 :D

yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all :wink:

Thanks for the help MrMot I was getting a great tone in no time with your help! I found the manual online too and I see now what you meant with the treble control. I know the person I bought the amp from told me the speaker had been changed out and the current speaker in my amp is a fender speaker manufactured by eminence. I was just wondering what would be a great speaker for heavier distortion. It seems like my fender speaker doesn't have as tight a low end as your recorded clips. Do you have any suggestions for speakers to look into that pair well with heavier distortion?

Thanks!

porkchop said:
Thanks for the help MrMot I was getting a great tone in no time with your help! I found the manual online too and I see now what you meant with the treble control. I know the person I bought the amp from told me the speaker had been changed out and the current speaker in my amp is a fender speaker manufactured by eminence. I was just wondering what would be a great speaker for heavier distortion. It seems like my fender speaker doesn't have as tight a low end as your recorded clips. Do you have any suggestions for speakers to look into that pair well with heavier distortion?

Thanks!
I'm glad i could help! :wink:

I only tried mine with the stock speaker and with a 2*12 box which had Vintage 30's, like i mentioned. I really don't have "experience" in different speakers, maybe you should check the harmony-central reviews page, i think i read there that some people changed the stock speaker...

Back