Stuck between a IV or V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalcat

Reaction score
Yes, another set of these questions...

So I played around a little bit on my friend's Mark V head w/ Recto cab, loved it, and I've had my eyes set on the Mark V combo for awhile. Before this I was leaning towards the IV because it wasn't as expensive as a new V and A BIT easier to find than a used V. Anyways, besides the total independence between channels, separate reverb, EQ range, overall versatility, etc. on the V...

1. Would I really be missing out on THAT MUCH if I decided to just buy a Mark IV head/combo?

2. And I know about the IIC+ mode on the V, it was arguably one of my favorites, would I be able to get a IIC-esque sound on the IV?

3. I've only played a V, are things like the clean channel COMPLETELY different between the IV and V?

From my experience, the biggest factor to consideris the R2 channel between the IV and the V. You can always use a boost on the IV R2 to compensate. Then again, the modes on R2 on the V is also killer...the V does indeed have a lot more to offer relative to the IV.

There was a similar thread about thie recently. You may want to check it out.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57615

Depends on what you need in lower gain. The extra clean options are nice and the Crunch/R2 channel on the V is fantastic. I still want one just for the Mark I mode in there. High gain wise, the IV can do 2 out of the three modes on the V with no problems. It doesn't inherently have the IIC+ voicing in there, but switching the amp to triode and running the gain in harmonics mode helps get closer. The IV mode is obvious but the Extreme mode is actually just the Mark IV lead channel with the Presence pot pushed in, which removes a negative feedback loop and lets some more lows and highs out ala Modern Mode on a Recto, but still tighter and smoother. In some regards, I feel the IVs lead channel has a few more options than the V when it comes to the IV modes. Namely the cascading gains (Lead Gain and Lead Drive vs one gain control) and the ability to switch between harmonic haze style gain and more of a mid boost on the back panel. These aren't huge difference makers but they're things I like to have access to. I also like being able to run both EL34s and 6L6s at the same time. Really fills out the tone for me. With the V it's one or the other. Not necessarily a bad thing but just different.

Regardless of which you chose, you're gonna be really, really happy with the amp. They're incredible amps: they sound amazing and they will make you a better player. If you're playing more hard rock/metal I would bypass the combo, just get a head and a separate cab. I run mine through a Recto 2x12 and it is absolutely fucking monstrous. It can definitely hang with "bigger" amps too. Reason why is a sealed back cab will be tighter sounding, which is a must for high gain rhythms. Anyway, good luck in your search dude.

(How cabs will affect your tone);I run my Mk. IV and III thru diezel front load 4x12s and its brutally extremely tight and focused..I do have a mesa steel grill 4x12 which also compliments the heads really well...a few years ago I was involved w/ a 4x12 cab shootout and one prominent fact that reoccured constantly was any 4x12 cab that had a screwed on back panel "leaked" air(you can actually feel it), and had a bit looser feel than the glued in back panel cabs..it doesnt mean the screwed back cabs sounded bad, just well, different.

Back