Stryper!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippingrudy

Reaction score
Not sure how many people on the board are fans of Stryper but I checked them out in concert last night. As far as Amps go, these guys used the Mark II-C (not sure if it was a +) on their two most successful albums (Soldiers Under Command and To Hell With the Devil). Check them out for some MAJOR Mark II-C goodness!

At the show last night the singer was using the new Mesa Mark V through three or four Mesa Recto cabs and his sound was amazing. I'm sure he was using the IIC-+ setting. The MAJOR surprise of the night was the lead guitar player, Oz Fox, who used the Line 6 "Pod" live... the one that sits on the floor with all the foot switches! I almost fell over when I heard the sound... It was awesome! He told me he ran the Pod through a Mesa 400 power amp and into two Mesa 4X12 cabs. He also used an MXR EQ pedal with everything set flat with the 2k only slightly boosted.

If you are into this band, or just into wicked guitar playing I suggest checking them out if you can. They are by far, one of the tightest bands I've ever seen live and their guitar tones are incredible.

Seems like the best modeler tones come through high powered tube power amps and proper guitar cabs. By the time you go through all of that (and turning the mic and cab sims in the pedal off), you might as well get a real amp (or maybe a couple of them). I use modelers though, for direct recording. I think they're unparalleled there if you don't have the luxury of recording in a proper room and high volume.

i am a huge stryper fan!! I am seeing them on Nov 5 in Houston, TX. I bought the meet and greet passes and hopefully i can talk to michael sweet (singer/guitar) about what his settings are on his Mark V. 8)

Worked the stage at two of their shows in the 80's, great dudes back stage, got to check out these little "Boogie" amps with EQ's and such.
Little did I know...

i am actually getting a t shirt made for the concert in Nov.
Its going to be a black shirt with the "Mark V" logo on the front in yellow and the "Mesa/Boogie" logo on the back in yellow also. I plan on getting it signed of course.

I got the meet and greet package too... they do a little bit of sound check (not sure how "real" it was) and then the each come down and you get about 15 minutes or so to meet with them. I got pictures with all the guys and ample time to chat with them.

are they nice guys? cause that is my biggest worry is that i have looked up to these guys for 18 years and i finally get to meet them and they are a let down....

Did it seem to be better time wise with only 50 people being allowed for meet and greets. Did you get front of line privilages?

I went to the show at the HOB in Cleveland. Real genuine guys. Oz took the time to show me his new guitar and talk about his amp set up. I also got autographs from everyone. Michael had too many people waiting to talk to him, but I did notice a 2:100 powered up in his rack along with the Mark V.

rpdz said:
I went to the show at the HOB in Cleveland. Real genuine guys. Oz took the time to show me his new guitar and talk about his amp set up. I also got autographs from everyone. Michael had too many people waiting to talk to him, but I did notice a 2:100 powered up in his rack along with the Mark V.

Thats kinda what i am afraid of , Michael is the main one I really want to chat with.
Sigh, oh well maybe I will be able to...

Dude, don't worry about it... you'll have a chance to speak with him for sure. Just go to him first and wait to talk to him. Now that you know that he's the most popular you're why ahead of the game.

The yellow and black attack is back!!!!

The singer also sings for Boston since the passing of Brad Delp.

Stryper got a bad rap because of the whole Christianity thing. Talk about something that can polarize a fan base.

Truthfully, you won't find better musicians anywhere. The vocal and guitar harmonies really set them apart from the typical 80s hair farmers. I saw them in Charlotte back in 1988, and they had a huge backline of Mesa/Boogie Mark III stacks.

Weird. They were just using Carvin's live (see pic from side of stage). The one with the "M" tag is Michaels. The other amps facing the front of stage didn't even have speaker cables connected. Just power so they would light up. Gear deception. Gotta love it.

file.php

Michael Sweet and Oz Fox were one of my first introductions into the Boogie world back in the day when I first bought 'To Hell With The Devil'. Incredible players for sure. I did read that they were using the Mark V's awhile ago which is still fitting since their early days of using IIC's. Hmm.. Rectifier's and Marshall's in the above video, though. I can't see the Rec being used for them...doesn't seem fitting at all, especially for all that lead work they did/do. Who knows though, they've been knowing to use dummies for their stage shows.

LOVE Stryper.... Loved them in the 80s, lost track of them through the 90s and most of the 2000's. Then Their "Murder by Pride" CD came out and I picked it up just to hear what a band from the 80s could possibly sound like today. OMG!!! That was probably my favorite CD purchase in YEARS! Michael, the singer, sounds like a 21 year old guy singing.... Powerful and an amazing range (still). Guitar tone was great as well, heard they used Mark IV's on this CD.

I got "the Covering" CD the day it came out (Downloaded from iTunes)..... This is one amazing CD as well. These guys can sure play and they don't have as many "cheesy" songs on their CD's as they did back in the 80s, lol.

GREAT band..... Don't over-look them just because they're a "Christian rock band". They are really good and have great tone and great chops (guitars and vocals). Not many bands around today that were around in the 80s (hair metal scene) that sound this good today. Hell, not many bands today sound this good today.

Good ole Boogie IIC slammed by a PEQ in the front is what made that notorious Stryper sound. Pretty cool stuff. I liked the band mostly for the lead playing. Definitely some pretty tasteful licks.

Back