STR 415's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwielding1

Reaction score
I *may* have found a place to buy NOS 1980's sylvannia 6L6GC tubes which are not Mesa labled, but appear to be the same as the famed 415.. If it turns out to be true, and they're available, I'll post here for all you vintage Mark series guys. I need to investigate a little deeper first to make sure they fall within mesa specs, and that they are the same..
Sounds cool, huh?
ax. 8)

Coldsprings Electrical works in MA has them. STR-387 style with dual getters. They are also resonably prices. I just picked up a quad of blue label
Mesa STR-415's. NOS and un-used. $ 320.00, but they sure are "purdy".

I am seriously looking for a quad of the Mesa green label NOS STR-416's- 6CA7's to have two original down to the tubes IIC+'s. For now I really like the GT 6CA7GE. It is very nice running them and the STR-415's in Simul.

In my last test, the NOS Phillips 7581A had way more bottom end and less high end. They sound even quite monsterous with the GT 6CA7GE as well.

I LOVE those GT6CA7GE's in my son's TSL100!!
What was the price on those STR387?
The price I got was $100/duet...
Also, will they all fall within mesa specs?
and, The GT6CA7GE's in the mesa, what rating do I need for my Mark III to fall in the mesa bias spec?
ax. :twisted:

Hey Ed, you got an address for Coldsprings? Being up in Mass, I'm not too far away...

I might just have to try some of those GT 6CA7's, even though I SWORE I'd never buy another GT Tube again :roll:

Belchertown, MA, 01007
413-323-8869 | 413-323-8200
Norm Moren ([email protected])

Norm is always in VG magazine.

http://www.coldspringselectricalworks.com/

Not all his tubes are listed. He has the real GE 6CA7's. Hi-Test in NJ has them as well for crazy money.

I use the GT 6CA7GE in a # 6 and it pulls 22ma at idle in a IIC+.

TOGA, TOGA, TOGA !!!!!

It would be hard to know if a STR-387 falls withing spec without a tube tester or the amp and a bias probe. The STR-415's I have all draw 22ma in the IIC+ across the board, but go as high as 55ma with the master up and playing under load. Honestly, I think the Phillips 7581A is as good a tube or better. They seem to have more of a natural bottom end and the ones I have draw 30ma.

Latest posts

Back