Stilettos:ace or deuce ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.P

Reaction score
hi.. I'm thinking of buying a stiletto head next month..
which leave me abit confused..

I don't need 100w amp for now.. i'm not pro enough.. lol... I don't do large gigs regularly.. so I think ace head will be perfect for my needs now..
but the mesa dealer in my country is doing some promo on deuce/trident.. in fact, they sell the deuce on ace price.. :D :D
should I buy the deuce instead of the ace ?

btw..
sorry for my terrible english..

id go for the deuce if there at the same price. ive got the ace head and am really happy with it. so why am i reccomending the deuce?

im almost 100% sure the deuce is selectable between 50w and 100w which is deffinately a big plus if theres no price difference. you can use it as a 50w and still have that 100w volume if you were going to play, say a stadium (laughs).

(50watts is heaps for any reasonably sized venue)

good luck

100 w option will give you better tone tracking for modern and Clean tones.

The Duece can be switched down to 50 watts....a great feature.

The two amps have slightly different tones though....

And is the Duece serires 1 or 2?

It all comes down to which you like better....they are different beasts IMO.

And your english is just fine btw.

the stiletto does for sure have the 50/100W switch. I play fairly small venues and still use the 100W output, just at a lower volume b/c it cuts through much better.

Nork,

You can't go wrong with either choice here.

Decisions decisions ? I'll give you the another side to think about.

I've tried & bought allot of amps like a Fender (Cyber Twin) , Mesa (Single Rec) , Line-6 (HD-147) & a Carvin (Legacy). They all had a good feature or two , but not enough to keep very long.

It's hard to find an amp that you fall in love w/ both channels. It's usually one & not the other. Usually channel 2.

Tube amps sound the best when you drive the power section. That means getting those power tubes hot w/ allot of output. 50 watts is very loud in most settings & 100 is great if your on a stadium tour w/ Alter Bridge. Having the ability to choose your watts might be the way to go though.

I tested both amps your looking at & it was an easy choice because of my playing situation. I chose the Ace 2x12 w/ Vintage 30's in it. A nice feature is the spongy power setting that knocks down the power a little & takes a little volume away. This way you can dive it hard & get those power tubes going. It's the biggest quality sound I've ever got out of an amp. It's worth the extra money to get a Boogie. Really !

Channel one is so amazing to me. I can get the best crystal cleans , slight break-ups or crunchy EL34 tones. I like it on the tight setting w/ some gain (around 1 o'clock) & then I back off my guitars volume a little for some great cleans. I also add a Keeley modded Blues Driver & go into the best crunch tone w/ this channel.

Channel two is like having an amp that's been personally modded just for you. Go to the bathroom before testing the high gain / fluid drive toggle because you will #%@$ yourself. It's that good. The distortion, clarity & total tube tones will blow you away.

The Ace's closed back is going to sound different then a head w/ a cab. That's not a bad thing at all just different.

Good luck in whatever you decide on & let us know. I wanted to get the Deuce so bad after I heard it & saw that black crocadile front. **** ! The green ace combo really stands out in looks as well. Very Classic.

I've been playing all day with just the amp & a DD-3 delay pedal & I've never sounded so good. I know all the tone is saposed to come from your fingers , but having great gear dosent hurt. I'm using Dimarzio Virtual PAF's along w/ the Cruisers that Andy Timmons has in his guitar & wow !

Peace ! Tim

i love my STAGE II STILETTO DEUCE. to me the cleans are amazing.
i would jump on that deal, a DEUCE for the price of an ACE. I say go for it.

thanks for the replies.. all of you..!! :)

ok.. i'll go with the deuce..
some extra watts wont hurt i think.. :lol:

I will be the only one swimming against the tide

I say go with the Ace.

I'll join you as an Ace owner though you can't go wrong with either.

Ace has some serious mojo in it.

Man you Ace owners are killing me!! I ordered my Ace two weeks ago and seems like everybodys got theirs--Im tweakin for it.I truly feel its the best amp Ive ever played.I love how touch sensitive and dynamic it is.The cleans are to me are a new Mesa clean thats one of the best outta all their amps-comin through ELs!!! I'll keep ya's posted when it arrives like the rest of you Aces and post pics with my Ace/Roadster tagteam...

Latest posts

Back