Stiletto vs. ROV or T-Verb??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling a few things and getting a high gain amp.

I've owned both the T-Verb and the ROV and liked them both a lot.

I have never tried a Stiletto though. I understand that they don't have Reverb, but I have a G-Major.

If you were going to choose, which one would it be?

I have a DC-5 & a DC-10, but am looking for a more "Modern" sound to go with them.

Hrm, I dunno, but I tried an Ace in the store recently and tried a few 'modern' tunes with it, sounded good. Depends exactly what you are looking for.

Monsta-Tone said:

Gee, isn't the T-Verb hi gain enough? I thought the Stiletto was MESA answer to Marshall's past Classic amps?

Monsta-Tone, I thought you knew this already? :wink:

The rectoverb and T-verb are high gain amps, same amount as the normal recto's just voiced slightly different.

The stiletto II is more high gain then the stiletto I, it is mesa's answer to EL34 based amps, can go from classic 70 and 80's up to higher gain, however with the british twist.

So it all comes down to the music you are playing for which amp you want. When you say the classic boogie high gain tone you would have to be more specific, because even the Mark 2 and 3 and 4's are consider high gain amps.

RR said:
Monsta-Tone said:

Gee, isn't the T-Verb hi gain enough? I thought the Stiletto was MESA answer to Marshall's past Classic amps?

Monsta-Tone, I thought you knew this already? :wink:

I think my DC-5 is far more "high-gain" than my Stiletto II ever was. Ch 2 is definetely more brutal the either Tite Gain or Fluid Drive while still maintaining better note definition. Quieter too.

The Stiletto may have a slightly more modern voicing than the DCs, but the gain ends at pre-grunge hair metal.

Get which ever monsta..............you know you'll be flipping it in a few months anyway.

but I'd say go for the Stiletto.............especally since I was tossed between the Stiletto and an LSS and wound up buying your LSS!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Believe it or not Lou, there are amps that I won't sell.

The only reason that I sold the T-Verb was that I really needed the money. Otherwise, it would still be here.

The ROV sounded great, but I felt like I was being let down by the name. Rectoverb to me implied that it would have stellar reverb, not just mediocre reverb.

I have a G-Major now, so I guess Reverb quality doesn't matter as much anymore.

As for the Stiletto, I've been living in a tiny town about 200 miles from a Boogie dealer and haven't tried any new ones in a while. Just because I'm authorized to work on their amps doesn't mean that I'm up on all of the newest ones.

I had a Roadster for a while, but found that I only used 2 channels on it, and none of the options.

I really like the DC's, and have a .50 Cal for lower gain stuff, so I thought that I might get something with a different voicing than the DC's. They are more like a Mark in voicing than a Recto.

Seems like a lot of guys make it an issue about the Stiletto series not having a reverb but then I thought about it for a second and said I never use the stock reverbs that come with my amps anyways. I always use effects. I just got a Stiletto Ace and it's the best amp I've had in a long time. I don't know why I never bought one before...oh yeah it was because of lack of dinero...lol

I just got another ROV. This one doesn't sound as good as my last one, so I'm guessing it needs tubes. The reciept says that it was bought in '94.

It is in MINT condition, and looks really nice.

I'll replace the tubes. If I can find the tones I'm looking for, and the amp attains "Keeper" status, I'll most likely just build a tube reverb circuit in it. I can't seem to find any reverb in my G-Major that comes close to the reverb in my DC-10, and certainly not anywhere close to that of my Twin Reverb II. They all sound really fake to my ears.

Back