Stiletto Volume Control Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesman

Reaction score
Hello,
I was experimenting with my FX loop tonight, and hooked it up exactly like the manual says to, word for word. I got some horrible sounds from it, sounds like you would hear from a man that was strapped to a tree in West Virginia.(think Deliverance)
anyway,
I turned it down and adjusted all my levels to try and get a normal sound, and couldnt find it. So I disconnected the FX loop and continued to play it in its raw, brilliant form, and it plays great! Only thing is, now my MASTER knob on channel 2 doesnt seem to work. Channel 1 MASTER is normal, and channel 2 still sounds awesome, just when I turn it all the way down, there is still volume. I bought this amp off ebay, 3 days before GC had their blow out,which is another story........... so........ it could be damaged prior to its arrival to my house. But remember the MASTER volume knob worked properly before I fiddled with the FX Loop. And the problem is isolated to Channel 2.
Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

Bluesman

My first guess on the FX loop would be the preamp tube in V4 is microphonic. Maybe the vol issue could be related to V2 and 3 since its only the gain channel, or possibly the ch2 master vol pot. Was the amp packed securely for shipping? Since it is a used amp, it wouldnt hurt to do a full retube just as preventive maintenance.

Thanks man,
Can anyone here tell that I am new to the tube amp world. I felt real silly reading on Mesa's site, and there is in plain daylight, but I appreciate your help. I think I may retube the whole amp.
I understand that your warranty is voided when using anyone elses tubes but mesa's. Which is fine because I think my Duece sounds **** fine with the 12AX7-A, EL34 STR 447, and 5U4GB's. Just thought I would mention it.

Kelly

Bluesman said:
Can anyone here tell that I am new to the tube amp world

I only wish these kinds of resources were around when I was new to a lot of things! Woulda probably saved me a few good electrical jolts, and a whole bunch of money!

Ask away...I'm sure someone here will have something to offer. The only stupid question is the one you DONT ask "Hmmm wonder what these blue can-lookin thingies are...think I'll poke at 'em with a screwdriver"

Enjoy your new amp, and welcome to the board
Jon

Latest posts

Back