Stiletto not turning on

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtbaker

Reaction score
First, when the volume is higher than half way up then it just makes a staticy noise and the notes don't come out. Then I replaced the preamp tubes. I turned it on and nothing happened. All of a sudden it started smoking and the power went out. Is that a blown fuse or a more severe problem?

Thanks,
Zach

Well there's nothing wrong with the tubes, but the metal in the head cab is somewhat scraped off. Would that do anything?

Well I have a 16 ohm cab and the head only has a 4 and 8 ohm input, but the manual says 8 ohms and 16 ohms is a safe mismatch. Last night the preamp tubes were starting to fade but I didn't know this (new to tube amps). So my other guitar player in my band tried to solve it and put it in the 4 ohm input. Then it didn't work at all. So I hope it's just the fuse. Thanks for the help.

-Zach

What is a preamp tube starting to fade sound like? And you tried to solve it by using a different speaker out? You say the tubes are alright, but there's metal in the head cab somewhat scraped off? What the? And if your having volume issues, how do you figure your power tubes are alright?

It was making like a loud crunching sound when I played a chord. I tried it in different cabs so it isn't the cab. Under the panel there is a metal paper sheet and some is scraped off. Once it goes past a certain volume it starts to make that sound, but I don't know what it is. Like I said before, I'm new to tube amps

DO NOT plug your 16 ohm cab into anything other than a 16 ohm load.....

safe mismatch is intended when you run more than 1 cabinet.....

you can however rewire your 16 ohm cab and make it 4 ohms with ease.....

sgtbaker said:
It was making like a loud crunching sound when I played a chord.
OK, is this a joke? Nobody can help with these descriptions? I mean, most of us like this "loud crunching sound" when we play chords?

The noise you heard was an indication that something was wrong. The fuse blew before it could cause any real damage. I suspect that if you replace the fuse, the problem will repeat itself. I had a similar issue with an amp years ago, turns out it was in the power stage.

Best to error on the side of caution. Take the amp to a qualified Mesa tech for a thorough checking out.

Back