Stiletto Deuce vs Dual Recto 3 channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnatex

Reaction score
i currently own a dual recto 3 channel loaded with JJ E34Ls. but i have been looking at a duece stage II. i need to know the difference between these two amps. i dont really care about cleans. i play my DR on channel 2 all the time(since i play punk and hardcore). what is the difference in tone between channel 2 on mine and the duece. and does one amp sound "heavier" than the other? and finally....are the demensions of these amps different at all? i have my DR in a head case/rack combo. and i would like to just keep the same case. any and all imput would be awesome. thanks guys

nate

xnatex said:
i currently own a dual recto 3 channel loaded with JJ E34Ls. but i have been looking at a duece stage II. i need to know the difference between these two amps. i dont really care about cleans. i play my DR on channel 2 all the time(since i play punk and hardcore). what is the difference in tone between channel 2 on mine and the duece. and does one amp sound "heavier" than the other? and finally....are the demensions of these amps different at all? i have my DR in a head case/rack combo. and i would like to just keep the same case. any and all imput would be awesome. thanks guys

nate

They are voiced completely different from each other . The DR has tons more bottom end . I prefer the Stiletto . They are the same size however

Barry said:
They are voiced completely different from each other . The DR has tons more bottom end . I prefer the Stiletto . They are the same size however

+1 to Barry. They are way different. The Stilletto is more Marshallesque, like when Marshalls sounded good. I know finding boogie gear is tough but read the manual and write down some recommended settings. Also go to the amp setting DB and write down some settings there that catch your attention. That way when you find one your not tweaking it all day. If you try and adjust the stilletto like you did the DR your not going to be happy with the sound.

Looking is half the fun IMO. Good luck!

ok thanks guys......now what is the big difference between a stage 1 and a stage 2?

sorry i ask alot of questions. but thats how i learn about this kind of stuff.

xnatex said:
ok thanks guys......now what is the big difference between a stage 1 and a stage 2?

If you do a forum search there are a lot of topics discussing this at length but for your benefit I'll summarize

Different transformers
5 of the 6 modes were revoiced on the Series II
Fluid Drive became much more usable in Series II
Cleans improved on Series II
Crunch mode better on Series I
Tite Gain mode is the only mode not revoiced between the two (for good reason)
Series II has quicker attack/more responsive picking dynamics (this one is my opinion)

The bottom line is, both amps are great but have a different voice. There is no right or wrong.. better or worse... it's all up to your own personal tonal interpretations. If you can find a Series I for 800-900 bucks, it is a steal.

xnatex said:

No problem, that's what this board is all about! I haven't been asked to leave the board for asking to many questions, so you should be good!

i know that if you ask alot of questions on the ESP board those guys get all pissy. thanks for all the info guys.

The Stage II Deuce has a much more aggressive overdrive channel. There's more gain and attack. The Stage I has plenty of gain, but the Fluid Drive on the distortion channel (which is what I'm assuming you'll want to use) has very flubby low-end sound and tends to be very harsh when at high volumes. I have a Stage I that just recently got the Hollywood mod. It sounds awesome. Not exactly the Stage II, but it brings you 85-90% there. The mod cost me $100 too.

So if you're on a budget, you can get a Stage I Deuce for $800-$900 and spend the extra $100 for the mod, thus saving you $800 on a brand new Stage II.

If you've got the dough to swing around, though, I do recommend the Stage II. Those things are sweet.

there is a guy that has a stage 2 that is wanting a DR. he still has the stock tubes in so if infact i do a trade i will want him to order a high gain set from eurotubes first. cause my DRs tubes are pretty fresh.

do you guys think that a straight up trade is a good deal?

Sounds like a good deal to me since the Stiletto has much better tone IMO and they're about the same price. I'd recommend against JJ's in the Stiletto though, just my 2 cents.

xnatex said:
what tubes would you recommend in the Stiletto?

I've only used the Mesa and the JJ tubes and the Mesa ones sounded much better than the JJ EL34Ls in the Stiletto. In the Recto it's a different ballgame.

I'd post a thread asking, there are lots of people who seem to dig the SED EL34s, that's going to be the next tube I try unless I come across some GT 6CA7 GE's

Latest posts

Back