Stiletto Ace Owners: how do you like yours?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojoFilter

Reaction score
I think I want one...check that: I'm almost positive I want one.

How do you like yours so far? Also, tell me about clean headroom in a band situation...does the Ace have enough, or should I consider looking at a Deuce?

Also, if you could tell me what kind of music you play, and what amps you've had in the past, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking at the head version, by the way...

I'd get the Deuce if you can fork out the extra money, the extra 50 watts is good for headroom....though if an Ace isnt loud enough then your band is playing to loud.

I play straight up rock but like using moderately high gain at times. I have had dozens of amps, the Stiletto stacks up well against most of the 'Marshally' amplifiers I have owned.

I'm a happy Ace owner, sold the Rectifier as that was too fizzy/muddy for my classic/hard rock tastes. I've never had the thing up past 12:00 clean or dirty and I play in a band, so plenty of headroom (although I've never tried a Deuce). Prior to that I was solid state Marshall so once you go tube, you never go back.

Over time, I've done a lot to tailor my Ace sound. Put in Doug's preamp tube set and 450's, added an eq in the loop to boost the bottom, a Barber Tone Press to smooth things out, Sonic Stomp, AC+, etc. I love the tone now, it's truly tremendous. But the other day I went into a dealer and played an Ace through a Mesa 4/12 and I thought it sounded a bit thin and brittle. Point being, it's an amp to work with to get your tone and once you do, you'll be thrilled.

I had an Ace combo.

It was too bright and hurt my ears.

I sold it and bought a Deuce II.

It's become my main amp for one of my bands.

go with the Duece...it has more low end. The Ace is REALLY bright, and in a band situation...was really really bright.

I have the head and rune it with a Avatar 2 x 12. Awsome amp, love mine....! Slices like a hot knife through the mix. I don't find it too bright at all.

I have an Ace head and Ace combo, and I love them both. I lean more towards the combo (2x12) and I think it's because it has such a small cab for the speakers. For the head I run it through either a Mesa Recto 4x12 (with beam-blockers on the top two speakers) and an old cab with Greenbacks and Weber Alnico g1265's.

I found both Ace's rather bright, but breaking the speakers in helped a lot and I futzed around with pre-amp tubes until I found something I liked more. I've never found the Ace to be too bright, but I'm sure it could be if you wanted it to.

I have, however, been kicking myself for not getting a Deuce. Really it makes a lot of sense since you can run it at 50 watts if you want and 100 watts if you really want. I haven't tried one yet.

I love the Stiletto circuit!

I like my Ace 212 but it gets to bright quick. I think I'm starting to lean more towards a Lonestar Special now.

I like my Ace 212 but it gets to bright quick. I think I'm starting to lean more towards a Lonestar Special now.

that's funny, i'm changing to the Ace FROM the Lonestar Special. Just got my Ace yesterday. I only found it bright in crunch mode. I just turned down the treble and presence, then brought up the bass a tad. sounds great, problem solved. why do people get so weirded out if you have to set these at 9 o'clock? would everyone prefer the pot's throw range to be from 10 to 2 o'clock? While i LOVED my LSS's clean tones, the distorted tones weren't tight and focused enough to my liking. I'm much happier with the Ace 212.

that's funny, i'm changing to the Ace FROM the Lonestar Special. Just got my Ace yesterday. I only found it bright in crunch mode. I just turned down the treble and presence, then brought up the bass a tad. sounds great, problem solved. why do people get so weirded out if you have to set these at 9 o'clock? would everyone prefer the pot's throw range to be from 10 to 2 o'clock? While i LOVED my LSS's clean tones, the distorted tones weren't tight and focused enough to my liking. I'm much happier with the Ace 212.

KyleAnadora said:

I was all Marshall before...(some say stiletto is mesa's version)
anyway...always with the bass up treble down, to get away from those shrieky highs.
I now have an LSS and it's treble up bass down as the bass... err bottom end on this amp booms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and I had been tossed between the Stiletto and the LSS when I made the purchase.

Also I was always a distortion channel guy, and now I can't believe how often I'm playing through clean channel. The notes articulate so well.

Latest posts

Back