Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo: Need some advice please!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skhan007

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have the Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo and it's a great amp, but I'm finding it too harsh on the high end side. I've replaced the stock Vintage 30's with a pair of Scumback M75's for more of a "British Greenback" vibe and that has helped marginally. I've also tried different preamp tubes in V1, but the amp is so bright, that I cannot dial the Treb & Mids past 12 O'Clock and the Pres. must stay at 9 or 10 O'Clock.

Are there any tips or mods you guys are doing to work with this amp? I like the amp overall and I feel that there's hope, just needing some guidance.

thanks,

Khan.

What kind of guitar are you running into it? For my ears, I've found that it makes a pretty big difference whether you run single coils or humbuckers into it. Of course, you can say that about all amps, but the Ace really seems to accentuate the differences - single coils tend to sound brittle and harsh on just about all settings and humbuckers are much easier to dial in across all modes. I had to really work to dial out the harshness when using single coils and have to admit that I haven't been completely able to. I have the same issue you do when trying to use the single coils in the bridge position. I've resigned myself to only being able to use the neck pickup. Now, having said all that, the amp really sings using my Les Paul in all positions. Just my two cents.

I primarily play Les Pauls. I play hard rock/metal. There is a sweet spot for the amp, it's just tough to find. Right now I'm keeping the crunch channel EQ'd with the Treb & Mids at about Noon, the Bass on full, the presence at 9 O'Clock and the gain on full. It sounds pretty good, but I'm still trying to tame the beast, if you know what I mean. For the crunch channel, I also keep the amp on tube rectificaiton and spongy power.

I might seek out the expertise of a good amp tech to ask about any mods that might be useful. I know in Marshalls, you can cut the treble cap or something like that to reduce brightness. Not sure about these amps, though.

I've got an attenuator on the way that may help out some with the brightness, i'll let you know if it does... It's designed to be a bright amp that's for sure! TungSol in V1 helps out, and it seems running the channel master high (noon or more) fattens up the tone too. I tried a Black Shadow in my combo and it smoothed it out nicely but it was less aggressive and too tame.

Hey you're right! I just dialed the channel master up to about 3 O'clock and kept the amp output volume at bedroom level and it fattened up the tone. I should also see about that Tungsol in V1 as well.

I'm wondering who else out there has any Stiletto advice!

skhan007 said:
Hey you're right! I just dialed the channel master up to about 3 O'clock and kept the amp output volume at bedroom level and it fattened up the tone. I should also see about that Tungsol in V1 as well.

I'm wondering who else out there has any Stiletto advice!
I just spouted off about this in another thread. The best "mod" for a Stiletto Ace is to turn down the gain and play it LOUD. You'll hear things fatten up real nice then. Spongy and tube rectifier modes can help. But if you're not in a stage/practice/recording situation where you are able to crank the thing up to volume, then there's really no reason to even have it in the first place. You'd be better off with a Marshall 18-watt or similar.

SBG200 said:
skhan007 said:
But if you're not in a stage/practice/recording situation where you are able to crank the thing up to volume, then there's really no reason to even have it in the first place. You'd be better off with a Marshall 18-watt or similar.

I struggle with this constantly... I'm not in a band at the moment, but I want nice tube tone when I play... I get good low volume tone and with an attenuator I should be able to get even better low volume tone. I'm jamming with a friend today so maybe i'll be able to actually open it up for a change!

Like MusicMan, I'm running TungSol 12AX7's in my V1 and V2 slots. They really do help to smooth out some of the bite. I'm also using the TungSol EL34B's, they help too. I do have to watch my EQ though when ever I switch guitars. I am getting the most consistency with NO presence at all so far. Hope this helps...

Turn the Treble and the Presence down to 8 or 9 o'clock and turn the bass up... Forget about the values on the knobs and just set it to where it sounds good to your ears. That is one thing that is funny with people.... and this isn't a knock on you... I'm including myself in this comment.... There is a whole bunch of unusable treble and presence on the Stilettos.... Do like andy Timmons... turn it right down and off!

The other thing is... why not sell it and get a Tiny Terror or something similar. I'm contemplating just that as I'm not playing much live these days.

I struggled with this issue with my Ace and eventually sold it. However, a few things which worked for me included tube changes (I actually liked running a lower gain tube in V1 like a 5751 or even 12AT7 along with =C= EL34s) and fiddling with tone settings. Don't forget to use the tone adjustment on your guitar - I found that perhaps even more useful than adjusting tone on the amp. As well, I found the amp sounded great with greenbacks.

It is most definitely a very trebly voiced amp though and eventually I moved on to my current EL34 amp - Splawn Quick Rod.

Still part of the Mesa family though (Roadster). I find they do the 6L6 thing better.

The ACE is a very special lady - she polarizes here in many threads. nomen est omen, what do you expect from the name stiletto: heels or knifes? :wink:

the pots are there to be turned, if its too bassy, just turn the bass down and do the same with highs and presence.
thank god the frequencies are there! if they are available they can be lowered anyway, if they are not there ... well.

i run 4 different ACE's and choose the preamp combination on hand by daily mood:

I only with MB Russian 2
II V1+2 EH, V3-5 MB Chinese
III V1+2 Tung Sol, V3-5 MB Russian2
IV V1 Sovtek, V2 Chinese, V3-5 MB Russian2

Two are equipped with EH EL34 - a bit less humming

It doesn't really make a BIG difference between all of 'em. She only lacks a bit of power and bottom end, one is not enough to cope and run with a rock drumkit in a rockband. That's why i go for four - the old 4x12" cabinet habbit.

have played many amps before i decided to go with the ACE. If tomorrow i switch and fall into fusion or jazz, the ACE will make it too. The fat clean and tite clean sound's are as well outstanding. Very versatile - if single coil or humbucker.

stay tuned!

you can darken it up by simply turning the treble/presence way down. It doesn't feel natural to do so, but let your ears be the judge and don't look at the knobs. I have also found Doug's preamp tube set, 450 power tubes, eq in the loop, and a Barber Tone Press really tames the high end and gives it an overall smoother tone.

I found the gold pin JJ Ecc833 helped to smooth things out.

When playing alone I used to have the presence pretty much off and the treble way down. I found when playing with the band I would turn them up as it helped to cut through.

Just before I sold it I was using an eq in the loop with a couple of the bass frequecies boosted a bit and the inverse with some of the higher freq's, to me this is probably the easiest and most effective way of tuning the amp.

Dr GearHead said:
Just before I sold it I was using an eq in the loop with a couple of the bass frequecies boosted a bit and the inverse with some of the higher freq's, to me this is probably the easiest and most effective way of tuning the amp.

I agree. Had the same concerns using my strat & the Deuce, but now use the MXR M-108 in the loop and have pretty good control. Like most others here, when playing live/bigger rooms I let the highs out more for a killer cut through the mix.

Trying a significantly hotter bias power tube set within the Mesa range is also helpful. Brings out more of the bottom and mids. As power tubes get use over time, the top end will roll off a bit anyway.

Back