Stil Ace Thoughts Please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xspider FingersX

Reaction score
Hey dudes, I'm an ex boogie player and im back in the amp market again. I play every style of music under the sun that could be made with a guitar, and this is no understatement; my main gig is a death metal band in the realm of dying fetus/animosity and I play a lot of classic rock and blues, country and indie rock as well. I need something that will be versitile yet simple. I've had a nomad 100 before and it was pretty cool, but constantly broke. I've played the recto series and I find the clean channel to be completely lack luster and the distortion to be a little awkward for me to use for anything other then balls to the wall kinda stuff.

I really love hotrodded marshall tones, but i need a little more gain then i can find in most amps that can do that (IE bogner shiva). EL34 grind is where i want my distortions to be at, but with enough gain and power behind them to do metal chunk and enough tone to it that i can roll back the gain and play classic rock or country and a clean channel that'll do sort of a fat chimey british clean- ala' vox ac-30 style or a fender with more midrange maybe.

This is a tall order right? Right.

Rectos arent for me and the mark IV's seem quite complicated for my tastes.

I played a stil Ace once on vacation in georgia a while back and i thought it killed. I didnt detune the guitar i was playing to give it the metal test though. It rocked for everything else however and i'm interested in getting one of those.

Someone please tell me if this amp contains that sort of versitility!

I think it's quite versatile.. the cleans are great, it does all the classic marshall tones with ease.. as far as death metal along the lines of dying fetus et al.. not so much. I bet with a boost pedal though you could get there though.

I don't really use my Ace for metal (use my Mark for that) but it can get pretty heavy... esp with my detuned 7 string... we're not talking death metal by default without some sort of OD though.

just my two cents.

ok change of plan im buying a used 5150 for 500 bucks off a local pal for the metal. How does the ace cover everything else haha

Xspider FingersX said:
ok change of plan im buying a used 5150 for 500 bucks off a local pal for the metal. How does the ace cover everything else haha

the ace will do everything you described and very very well IMO. cleans are great. classic rock, easy. heavy rock with marshallish vibe, done. metal. yes.

Back