Speaker recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrown101

Reaction score
So i just built a 2x12 speaker cabinet and loaded it with 2 v30s.....im not sure im really digging the sound of the v30s as i think they sound a little harsh and ice-picky..... any recomendations from mkiii users

I own a mkiii greenstripe...looking for a good clean sound....gna be running 2 ts9 tube screamers tho for OD...other effects include wah-delay-envelope filter.....

styles: rock, funk, blues , jazz, bluegrass, cowboy stuff

It all depends on your taste. For me, I tried my MKIII blue stripe through V30's, EVM 12L's, G12T-75, MC-90's, and Vintage Black Shadows and I really prefer the G12T-75's. There is a good speaker shootout on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI which goes through about 15 different speakers. It helped me get an idea how each model sounds as I'm looking to replace the MC-90's in my mesa 4x12.

Based on your list of styles, I would agree that the G12T-75's should sound nice. They have good bottom end, and clear high end, without being too sharp

My styles are similar (without the cowboy influence) and I use Weber California speakers (ceramic). They sound great for clean and crunch tones, they are full range, non-sterile, and have great detail. I use them in my 1x12 combos... not sure how they would sound in your 2x12. I recommend them in the open backed configuration.

Good luck!

I think it all depends on what you play: clean, distorted; metal; country.

If you play LOUD you will need stiffer speakers and probably want ceramic magnets.

If you play clean and at medium volumes (clubs, small venues) I would highly recommend going with alnico speakers, they are considered to be more musical.

If you are heavy metal or whatever you are probably quite loud. There is always enough bass when you are loud and ceramics give you a tighter bottom. When you are playing at more human levels, the bass can be lacking and that's where alnico comes in.

Use speakers that will handle your output without blowing up, but if you want sustain don't get speakers designed for super high output. for a 2o watt amp 40 watts or 50 watts rated on the speaker will probably give you better sustain than a 90w or 120w speaker, because the higher power rating will mean a stiffer speaker.

I play clean at medium volumes, I like alnico and getting rid of the original stock Eminence speaker was a great decision for me. I am using a ceramic Tone Tubby rated at 40 watts in my 35w Maverick, paired with an extension cab in a mini-stack. The extra speaker is a 12" alnico tone tubby and the combination kicks ***. Sustain all day with beautiful singing distortion. I highly recommend hempcone speakers! They are expensive but worth it and they may require up to 50 hours to be completely broken in, although they lose most of their harshness after 5 or 10 hours.

Back