Speaker Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyCrazy

Reaction score
I am running my Mark IV head through a 2x12 Recto cab. I bought both the head and cab new two year ago. The head has never sounded right through this cab. I received some great info on tubes here a couple of weeks ago.

I finally took my head and cab back to the music store where I purchased them and was told by the stores owner that the cab sounded like the speakers were out of phase. I plugged into a 4x12 Recto cab at the music store and the head sounded great. It had all of the tone and sustain I have been trying to get out of the 2x12.

Is this a minor wiring problem? I don't know anything about wiring, etc.
Is it best to send the cab back to Mesa for repair as far as warranty goes?

Um. If they really ARE out of phase it's a super easy fix. On ONE of the speakers, switch the wires. Done.

But I really wonder about them being out of phase from the factory...

a quick test would reveal if they are out of phase. get a good view of the speakers(take off the grill if necessary), get a D battery, and a speaker cord with bare wires on one end. plug the speaker cable into the cabinet, and while looking at the speakers, MOMENTARILY touch the exposed wires from the speaker cable to oppsite ends of the battery. (only do it long enough to see which way the speakers go. the speakers should BOTH move the same direction. it doesn't matter which direction, as long as they both go the same way. if one goes in while one goes out, the speakers are out of phase. the simple fix is what camsna said. reverse the wires on ONE of the speakers.

Back