Speaker for Thiele Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

Reaction score
I build a thiele cabinet and fairly happy the way it turned out but I'm having a problem deciding what speaker to put in it. My intention was not necessarily to buy a new speaker but to re-purpose one that I have if possible. I originally built it so that I could use a Celestion G12T-75 hat I had sitting in a box but then I figured, that if I did a little shuffling around of some of the other speakers I have could also put in a Vintage 30 or the C90 from my Mark IV combo.

How would you rate the three available speakers for use in a thiele from best to worse?

it can't be too difficult to try all 3.

I have a thiele with a V-30. sounds pretty good, but i pair it with an open back MC-90 mesa 1x12. together they are great. I don't think the V-30 thiele is articulate enough to run it by itself.

scott

zodiac272 said:
it can't be too difficult to try all 3.

I have a thiele with a V-30. sounds pretty good, but i pair it with an open back MC-90 mesa 1x12. together they are great. I don't think the V-30 thiele is articulate enough to run it by itself.

scott
+1. IMO, the C-90 would be the best match of the three. Of course, the EVM 12-L is the perfect match if you used the EV build plans (TL806?).

Thanks of the input. I guess I don't know how to interpret a thiele in terms of closed back/opened back and what the best type of speaker might be for it. Generally speaking, does a thiele prefer a speaker with specific characteristics or cause issues for others?

RussB said:
Did you copy the Mesa/Theile cab? If so, the EVM12L is the shizz in that cab
Ya, I made a copy of the EV spec. I made the external dimensions wider so that it matched the width of my Mark IV combo and allow me to put the combo on top of it. It has an extra wall inside such that the internal dimensions of the speaker housing match the plans exactly.

I'm sure the EVM12L would pair with it very well but I'm trying not to buy a new speaker for it if I can avoid it, especially since I originally built this thing to house an extra speaker I already had. I think if I did break down and spend some money I might not want to spend over $200 on one either so may opt for another C90 or an Eminence Delta-Pro 12A as I've heard is is somewhat of a poor mans EVM12.

Latest posts

Back