SPeaker Change in Boogie MK IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenoBluzGtr

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on changing out the Speaker in my MKIV WideBody...

It's a 2004 model, so the speaker is the 90 Watt Celestion.

I am happy with it, but was reading alot of guys who switched to the Weber AlNico.

My question is, does going with the AlNico save a significant weight? If it saves 10 lbs, that would be a life saver for me. I love the Jensen AlNicos in my Super Reverb, so I am pretty sure the sonic qualities would be fine, but not necessarily worth the cost if that was the only improvement. If it sounded good AND lightened the load a bit, now were talking cost effectiveness!

Thanks in advance.

Ain't no way to safely put a Weber alnico in a MKIV. They all (in the Weber high power series) only handle 60 watts. At $200 a pop, would you be willing to fry it?!

EDIT: ...and hi-power alnico speakers are HEAVY!

Think JBL, EV, Altec

thanks RussB... that's the kind of input I am looking for.

I am not unhappy with the performance of the Celestion 90, so it was primarily the weight savings I was hoping would be an added benefit.

I know the low power Jensen Alnicos in my 4X10 Super Reverb weigh half of what a similar Ceramic would, and I love the extra warmth and smoothness that the Alnico provides.

Without a weight savings, and with your new warning about the power handling, I think my MK IV will remain stock for now.

Latest posts

Back