speaker cab build

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrown101

Reaction score
so i have this mesa mkiii green stripe.....

Im going to attempt to build a 2x12 cabinet but dont know what speakers to put in it

as emberrassing as it sounds i dont know anything about watts

how many watts is my mkiii green stripe?

how many watts does the speaker cab need to be?

I'm not familiar with this particular model. The manual on mesa's website references that it can push 100 watts, but I don't know the first thing about green stripes from purple stripes. With that said, I do know a little about speakers.

You have to account for watts and ohms. Watts reference the amount of power the speaker(s) can handle. The rule of thumb is that you want to have enough watts to cover what the amp can push out. Since the mkiii seems to push up to 100 watts(please confirm this point as a fact), so you would want to choose 2 speakers that can handle at least 50W each as each speaker would split the total 100watt load. You may safely choose speakers that can handle more than 50 watts but you should be cautious about choosing speakers that handle less.

With Ohms, it has to do with how the speakers are wired. You have series wiring and parallel wiring. 2 8ohm speakers wired in series has a 16ohm load (8+8). 2 8ohm speakers wired in parallel has a load of 4ohms. Mesa amps tend to have 8ohm and 4ohm outputs. Marshall amps tend to have 16ohm and 8ohm outputs. The common ground is 8ohms. If you want to have versatility, it makes sense to get 2 16ohm speakers and wire them in parallel for a total load of 8ohms.

Hope this isn't too confusing. There is lots of stuff on the subject. Read up and feel comfortable. Once you understand the principles, the real problem will be figuring out what speakers best suit the sound you are looking for.

Good luck

dbrown101 said:
so i have this mesa mkiii green stripe.....

Im going to attempt to build a 2x12 cabinet but dont know what speakers to put in it

as emberrassing as it sounds i dont know anything about watts

how many watts is my mkiii green stripe?

how many watts does the speaker cab need to be?

Pretty sure The green stripe Simul Class stripe was 15 or 85 watts.
What speaker to chose is up to you but many people use EV-12L's, Celestion C-90's.

As for wattage and ohms read what he says below.
But the EV is a 200 watt speaker and the C-90 a 90 watt speaker. Both have been used together in pairs in a 2x12 as well or alone in a combo or as mixed pairs in a 2x12.
There are other speakers too but the above were the most commonly used by Mesa.
Btw Mesa typically used two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel in their 2x12's.
Plug the above (two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel ) into the 4ohm jack on the back of your green stripe. You could also plug it into the 8ohm jack, it's safe mismatch.

Whatever you do don't plug two 4ohm cabs into BOTH 4ohm jacks on the back. Those jacks are wired together in parallel.

knotts said:
I'm not familiar with this particular model. The manual on mesa's website references that it can push 100 watts, but I don't know the first thing about green stripes from purple stripes. With that said, I do know a little about speakers.

You have to account for watts and ohms. Watts reference the amount of power the speaker(s) can handle. The rule of thumb is that you want to have enough watts to cover what the amp can push out. Since the mkiii seems to push up to 100 watts(please confirm this point as a fact), so you would want to choose 2 speakers that can handle at least 50W each as each speaker would split the total 100watt load. You may safely choose speakers that can handle more than 50 watts but you should be cautious about choosing speakers that handle less.

With Ohms, it has to do with how the speakers are wired. You have series wiring and parallel wiring. 2 8ohm speakers wired in series has a 16ohm load (8+8). 2 8ohm speakers wired in parallel has a load of 4ohms. Mesa amps tend to have 8ohm and 4ohm outputs. Marshall amps tend to have 16ohm and 8ohm outputs. The common ground is 8ohms. If you want to have versatility, it makes sense to get 2 16ohm speakers and wire them in parallel for a total load of 8ohms.

Hope this isn't too confusing. There is lots of stuff on the subject. Read up and feel comfortable. Once you understand the principles, the real problem will be figuring out what speakers best suit the sound you are looking for.

Good luck

But note !

You have to differ between the old and the new EVM 12L. MESA says, the new sound too "biting" and "ear-paining". Obviously this is the reason they offer C 90s instead.

I'm skeptical about the new EVM12Ls sounding that much different from the old ones. I've heard that the opposite is true. Maybe sourcing them would eat into Mesa's profit margins more than sourcing Celestions does, and that's their cover story.

well i think im going with 2 x12 celestion vintage 30's....they are 60 watt speakers....that gives the cab 120watts...that should be enou, right?

Back