Sovtek > Mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetshevanel

Reaction score
So since my Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce is out of commission until I get it repaired, I bought a Sovtek MIG 60, and I'm blown away. The tone is very similar the Stiletto. Sounds a little more tube driven. The gain sounds more from the tubes than the pre amp. A little brighter and twangy (even when using my Les Paul). I don't want to say it sounds better than the Mesa, but it's a definitely competitor to anyone looking for an awesome EL34 high gain amp.

The point of this topic: I wonder if I'll want to sell my Mesa after I get it repaired. We'll see after I gig the Sovtek a few times if it can hang, but I'm pretty sure I won't want to sell the Mesa anyway.

I've never played a Sov amp but the one thing that really deters me is the single channel design. Whatever suites you best is what you should stick with regardless of brand. If you stay with the sov then you should be able to save a few bucks by selling the Stiletto.

Greg

That Sovtek is legendary among amp enthusiasts. They offer a massive bang for the buck ratio and there are a ton of guys who love to mod these. Unfortunately they are, at best, dodgy, when it comes to reliability. I would never use this as my only amp...never.

Those Sovteks were like the poorman's Marshall back in the day. I remember playing a couple and not really missing the gold and black. The main difference was using the alternate tube (5881?) as opposed to the classic EL34. I wouldn't mind having one but I have a Marshall, a Mark IV and a 2ch Dual Rec right now. There wouldn't be any reason for me to have one. I would gig it. They aren't that unreliable especially if you maintain it like you would any other amp. Sovtek made a cool 2x12 vertical cab that looks much like a slightly narrower recto vert. I think they copied the Peavey sizewise.

Back