Sound Choking Problem..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishcomedy

Reaction score
I was playing a gig today, and I noticed when I hit the solo function, which was set at about 2 oclock the notes started to choke, like it was crackling/cutting off and on, so I had to turn the volume down. Has anyone else ever had this problem? What's causing it?

Rockin_Ron said:
V3 preamp tube. Had the same problem and replaced tube ... problem gone.

Where can I get one? Is there a specific Brand or model number I should get?

Well, the quickest fix would be to swap it with V4 (reverb) and not use the reverb. :| That's plan-a. That would also help varify if that tube was the problem. Then, go down to your local music shop and buy any 12ax7 for about $15, that's plan-b. Plan-c is call mesa, and or go online with them and get one, or a set. Then there's plan-x....Retube the pig with some JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes. :lol:

If your local shop has any JJ's ECC-83s, same as 12ax7's, I'd choose that first, next would be Groove tubes, after that would probably be a Fender or Sovtek. If your anywhere near Hollywood, and really want mesa tubes, there's the Mesa Boogie store that carries the goods. And have a great boutique pedal selection. Plus mesa speakers, tubes, etc.

Actually, with a tube amp, it's a good idea to carry a couple of spare 12ax7's, a matching pair of 6l6's, and some fuses. If a 6l6 goes out, they'll blow a fuse. Consider it an emergency kit. Just like strings, picks, and cables etc.

It may be that the effects loop jack(s) are dirty & in that case a new tube won't help. I had this happen on my LSC a while back. Cleaning them is pretty hard too because of the type of jack used.

good luck.

polishcomedy said:
I was playing a gig today, and I noticed when I hit the solo function, which was set at about 2 oclock the notes started to choke, like it was crackling/cutting off and on, so I had to turn the volume down. Has anyone else ever had this problem? What's causing it?

This is a problem that you'll encounter from time to time. As long as you haven't toasted the plate resistors it can be one of three (3) problems, some already mentioned.

1. V3 or V5

2. The output tubes (6L6)

3. The effects loop.

Use deoxit on the effcts loop jacks with the amp turned off. Slide a patch cable in and out a few times and that should cure the proble, OR using a short cable leave the cable in the effects loop input to output. Set the loop around 12 o'clock and your done.

V3 should be a Chinese tube according to MESA, and not all Tung-sols work. Better yet use an American tube, Sylvania, GE, etc.. This is what I use and I have not had any problems since I put it in.

V3 and V5 will effect output if bad or marginal.

If you use the foot switch to 'hit the solo function' then check that stereo TRS cable that came with the foot switch. It's known that that cable is crap. Mesa can ship you a new one for free but for me I just replaced it with a good cable and haven't had a problem since.

ja22y said:
If you use the foot switch to 'hit the solo function' then check that stereo TRS cable that came with the foot switch. It's known that that cable is crap. Mesa can ship you a new one for free but for me I just replaced it with a good cable and haven't had a problem since.

I don't think that's the problem. The same thing happened the other day when I was playing normally. I took it to the shop.

Latest posts

Back