So I played and ACE Tonight

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siggy14

Reaction score
So i go into my guitar center, been getting on them about getting in the newer stiletto's, however they say that the mesa amps are just not selling right now, which is true, seems to be a backlash on them.

Anyway i amjust about to leave after scoping the place out for a half hour, and low and behold there is a used ACE 1x12 combo. So i take the amp and put the amp into a 4x12 traditional, i took the normal 12 inch speaker out.

Lets just say i was floored by the amp, great sounding amp and i see myself getting one. Probaly a duece. cant get in my rectifier tone, but i think it defintly has more gain then the original stiletto's. Sounds so tight and great.

Sweet, the Ace is just an amazing piece of gear.. it still brings a smile everytime I plug it in.

That's odd now that I think about it the guitar center here has had the same bunch of Mesa's for a while now. I have no idea why these amps wouldn't sell like hotcakes.

*DOPEMAN* said:
That's odd now that I think about it the guitar center here has had the same bunch of Mesa's for a while now. I have no idea why these amps wouldn't sell like hotcakes.

Gas prices effect lots of things . Also my wife works at a music store and its a slow time of year .

Perhaps the sales force at GC can't properly demo or explain the amps to people. As a lot of us know, you must spend a little time getting a Mesa dialed in. I have a good friend that manages a music store and they are having no trouble moving Mesa amps out with customers.

But I do agree with the time of year and gas prices also being factors.

Well actualy, i am heavy into the music scene, almost any style you can imagine. And I can tell you that for some reason people are moving away from Mesa's as the scenes are going towards a more tighter marshall type gain.

The problem is when everyone thinks of mesa's, they think of the recto's and that is not the tone they are going for anymore. Which is a shame because they dont realize they can get those same marshall tones out of a Stiletto and get a much better amp then what marshall is putting out.

So in a way there is a backlash on mesa's, probaly because the recto just became so huge, and so normal to play through that people now want something different.

You will always have your die hard mesa fans and they will keep playing them, but with so many different choices of amps these days, all putting out high gain models, people have alot to choose from. And like i said people are just going towards more of the marshall type gain these days.

flieger67 said:
Perhaps the sales force at GC can't properly demo or explain the amps to people. As a lot of us know, you must spend a little time getting a Mesa dialed in. I have a good friend that manages a music store and they are having no trouble moving Mesa amps out with customers.

But I do agree with the time of year and gas prices also being factors.

That happened to Marshalls not long ago. Everyone was offing their Marshall to get a Mesa or other that was into Marshall but looking for the sounds they couldn't get with their Marshall. When this high gain madness started you saw a flood of JCM800's on the market. There were many JMPs also that went bye-bye. So like anything else (primarily music trends), amp preference changes in cycles. I think with the new generation of guitarists out there adding to the masses that already play that there is plenty of room for everyone. I also think that there is place for most all amps. Granted some will be more popular but that just makes those that were the hot ticket items that are now not in the spotlight that much more attainable. I think that the boutique builders and BYO kits have shown that anyone can build a quality amp.

I was considering an ace combo but I think my amp fund is goin in the way of a MKIV or Lonestar,still aces are awsome amps

Latest posts

Back