So I had my amp checked out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodstone

Reaction score
So after talking with Mesa about a little puff of smoke that came out of my amp the other day I decided to take it to a certified Mesa repair shop. Unfortunately the only one in my state is 2 1/2 hours away. So I spend about $70 in gas, 5 hours round trip plus the 3 hours I had to wait around for him to get to my amp and check it out, $25 for him to check it out that day (cause making that trip again to pick it up wasn't worth it), and $20 labor for him to tear it apart and inspect it. The end result, nothing wrong with my amp at all! And no I wasn't pissed, I was quite happy and it was all worth it knowing that he gave my amp a clean bill of health. I had bought it used so it was nice to know how it looked under the hood finally anyways. He said the smoke was caused buy two pins on one of my tubes arching together.

A very expensive and time consuming adventure all for just a tube going bad that was still under Mesa warranty, but the piece of mind was worth it. :)

P.S.
The guys at Mesa are super nice and incredibly helpful with all the 500 questions I rattled off to try and learn as much as I can about the little things :)

I would have done the exact same thing with the same afterthoughts. You can never go wrong with piece of mind...

I was saving up for new tubes adn other guitar needs (wants) but yesterday I bent my fourwheelers rear axle. Couple hundred gone when i fix that

So besides the gas, you "only" spend $45 total? That's good deal. I know technicians start bench price at $50. That means just looking at it and see if it needs repair. After that, when it need repair, additional price plus parts.

But in your case it was "while you wait" so that technician did go out of his way to service your amp, thumbs up!

My area, the supposedly "Authorized MESA Boogie repair shop" I don't know how he got selected, work on my Boogie, without asking me to test the amp at the shop after his repair, I brought it home and another symptom, a rattling sound. It was not there when I brought it in.

He was going to charge me an extra bench price for "now this new repair." What the $@#)$? I told him you phone me to pickup the amp and claimed it fixed without ever me trying it out! Then I brought it home and this "noise."

All it was a cold solder joint. Now did I jar it loose, or did he jar it loose? That's the question, finally the shop owner decided I did not have to pay this bill but I wish they had the policy or the common sense (or should been I) to allow to play it before I brought it home.

Glad to hear! Always a bad day when a recto is in trouble! Good to hear everything went well.

Glad to hear your Boogie's alright bud, sorry about the other expenses, but at least your not replacing a $1,000+ head...there's always a positive to that haha. Rock on!

-AJH

Latest posts

Back