slipknot sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seymourstiletto

Reaction score
i have a stiletto deuce and i'm wanting to get some slipknot tone. impossible or do i c a duel rectifier in my future?

Lots of gain is about all you need for that sort of tone. You could be using pretty much any 6L6 style amp...when you are maxed out like they are any EL34 amp would come close too.

which slipknot tone are you looking for?

First album Jim used a DC10 and Mick used a JMP-1 into a power amp.

Then through out the albums they have switched up gear, they are big whores when it comes to gear, last I heard they were using VHT's but that could have changed by now, i got out of slipknot after the first album.

One of them is (right now) using Oranges and the other is using Riveras.

there's a video on the Guitar World site of them going thru their current gear...at one point there is a good shot of Jim Root's amp rack and you can see amp settings...if that will help. Looked like a lot of bass and treble and not a lot mids (stereotypical metal amp settings)

two words.... Rivera Knucklehead

amazing amps.... some of the best cleans around and obviously it can get pretty brutal if you need it to.

rabies said:
jdurso said:
two words.... Rivera Knucklehead

amazing amps.... some of the best cleans around and obviously it can get pretty brutal if you need it to.

The producer for 10,000 days (Tool) is big into Rivera amps. There's a vid out there on youtube.

I have a S120 right now, very flexible, and it has a lot of bass, similar to the bass of a recto. It's 4xel34 and does not have as much gain as the newer Rivera amps...

hmm didnt know that (about the 10,000 days producer0. i knwo adam jones likes to experiment a lot, using upwards of 3 to 4 amps to get his tone. his idea is to use one thats very good with highs, one thats good with mids and another thats good for lows.... makes sense but that is a very involved tone

Slipknot is listed on several sites as "users." I'm sure even they have lost track of gear they've used. I've found any hi gain head and guitar (with hot pick ups) tuned to B will get you close.

Adam jones right now is favouring the VH4's by a german boutique company called DIEZEL.

There are insane amps and your talking insane prices too!!!

However I think the stiletto is more than capable than producing slipknot sounds.

Their sound is not so much gainey.....its more focused...reduce gain....and increase mids and treble...

Another great alternative amp is ENGL also german. There very very chunky and versatile.

But i think the stiletto has more than enough gain no?????

Boosting mids can also increase distortion maybe scoop it out then with an e.q pedal???

I think what you really need is a clown mask. the rest of the sound is in your head. :twisted:

EXPRESSLOVER said:
Adam jones right now is favouring the VH4's by a german boutique company called DIEZEL.

There are insane amps and your talking insane prices too!!!

However I think the stiletto is more than capable than producing slipknot sounds.

Their sound is not so much gainey.....its more focused...reduce gain....and increase mids and treble...

Another great alternative amp is ENGL also german. There very very chunky and versatile.

But i think the stiletto has more than enough gain no?????

Boosting mids can also increase distortion maybe scoop it out then with an e.q pedal???

he does use diezel but in conjunction with his favorite marshall (maybe hotrodded), and a recto or 2 thrown in sometimes. if you find live pics he usually always have the diezel and marshall and soemtimes a recto going through boogie cabs

Yeah I wanted a diezel but couldnt afford one...so expensive. That diezel herbert is the ****!!!

EXPRESSLOVER said:
Yeah I wanted a diezel but couldnt afford one...so expensive. That diezel herbert is the sh!t!!!

they make some good stuff. definitely pricey but good stuff... although i dont know if i'd spend that much for the diezel tone.

the engl stuff on the other hand is right up my alley. if i had endless amounts of cash flowing in among the many other amps i want (express, vht sig x, jc120, etc) the SE 6L6 would be an awesome grab. so flexible, so many tones, integrated midi system, killer stuff.

If you want the exact Slipknot sound, a rectifier will not get it. I have two, and they aren't tight enough. jdurso is correct, the Rivera Knucklehead is amazing, best clean and rhythm tones I've ever had. However, they do not have an overall master volume control, so to get a decent overdriven tone the amp is ridiculously loud.
If possible you should just go to a shop and try as many high-gain heads as you can and just get the one you like the best. I'm told the Stiletto is a great amp, I'm sure it'll produce a decent metal tone.

stadidas said:
If you want the exact Slipknot sound, a rectifier will not get it. I have two, and they aren't tight enough. jdurso is correct, the Rivera Knucklehead is amazing, best clean and rhythm tones I've ever had. However, they do not have an overall master volume control, so to get a decent overdriven tone the amp is ridiculously loud.
If possible you should just go to a shop and try as many high-gain heads as you can and just get the one you like the best. I'm told the Stiletto is a great amp, I'm sure it'll produce a decent metal tone.

i said the knucklehead because up until the last tour thats what they were using. there are definitely some other fx in there to conjure their tone (i believe they both used the punch factory pedals and possible an OD in front.

jdurso said:
stadidas said:

i said the knucklehead because up until the last tour thats what they were using. there are definitely some other fx in there to conjure their tone (i believe they both used the punch factory pedals and possible an OD in front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zMmARor6w
2006 - Shows both rigs entirely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ1IVx57G3M
2008 - Shows jims entire rig, Micks has remained the same (add in his sig. head, thats all)

A rectifier is plenty tight enough to get the slipknot sound. Anyone on this board who tells you a rectifier is not tight enough, don't listen to them because they have no idea what the hell they are talking about. By itself a rec is not tight enough. You will need a overdrive pedal, setting the gain to a proper level is very important, anything past 2 oclock you are going to get flubbiness. Something else that attributes to tightness is the room you are playing in. The room's acoustics are almost more important than the guitar you are playing.
--------------------------------------------------
If that doesn't help buy yourself a poser mask, sale your gimmick and crank the gain all the way up!!! :D

Latest posts

Back