Slave out on the dual rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dual rec

Reaction score
On a dual exactly what is the slave out knob. I am not for sure. I know it's in the owners manual but it didn't fully explain to me what its for and what it does. Sorry this is kind of a dumb ?

The Slave-Out is a line-level signal that comes AFTER the power amp section, so that signal is influenced by tube type and power tube distortion as well. It is useful for a variety of things, but I find it best for 1: a wet/dry/wet rig where the head runs one cab completely dry (no FX), and the slave-out goes to a stereo FX processor, power amp and more speakers. 2: slave out goes to a cab simulator for direct input to the PA or recording board...sounds more natural than using only the preamp signal like FX send.

I used to run the wet/dry/wet with a marshall 6100 head into either an SPX90 or korg A2 and feed that signal to a marshall 9200 power amp (5 cabs total) and the sound was un-f'n-believable. Have not had the pleasure of running my Triple like this as the gigs we have been doing lately dont require that kind of horsepower. Maybe soon....we can only hope!

I dont know if this is safe or anything, but maybe someone can confirm. I run mine into the input of my rack tuner, and its been working great for me. Is that a good idea or no?

Jeff Courtney

NoGlassNoClass said:
The Slave-Out is a line-level signal that comes AFTER the power amp section, so that signal is influenced by tube type and power tube distortion as well.

I'm pretty sure it's just a parallel tap off the preamp, post effects loop.

Jeff Courtney said:
I dont know if this is safe or anything, but maybe someone can confirm. I run mine into the input of my rack tuner, and its been working great for me. Is that a good idea or no?

I do the same thing, I just make sure that I keep it set as low as possible.

The slave out is neither a line out! It's some sort of "padded" signal though! Thats all I've read! I'm not sure what it's doing with a tuner? I do know that the signal does'nt sound good when used as a "line out" though! Personally, I would'nt use it as a tuner out! I'd be curious to what someone in the know would have to say about this?

jbird said:
The slave out is neither a line out! It's some sort of "padded" signal though! Thats all I've read! I'm not sure what it's doing with a tuner? I do know that the signal does'nt sound good when used as a "line out" though! Personally, I would'nt use it as a tuner out! I'd be curious to what someone in the know would have to say about this?

Of course it doesn't sound good into a line out, it's raw signal. You need to run it into a speaker sim to tame it.

SLAVE CONTROL: This 1/4" jack and control provide a signal derived from the speaker jack. Perfect for using either Recto, as a master pre-amp, and additional power amps for more power when needed. Some players use the SLAVE to derive an FX Send Signal and go to other amps for their wet sound.

Hmm, looks like it is after the power power amp. But it is still a line level signal, otherwise you wouldn't be able to plug it into any effects or power amps.

I just never thought the signal from a guitar would be the same as one derived from an amps speaker jack?

jbird said:
I just never thought the signal from a guitar would be the same as one derived from an amps speaker jack?

The one from your guitar is insturment level (-10db). The one from a line output in line level (+4db). Though Mesas tend to have notoriously hot line outputs, which is why alot of **** doesn't like to work in their FX loops.

the slave out is also responsible for the famous master of puppets metallica guitar sound. they took a mark2c+ and "slaved out" into a marshall jcm800. they essentially used the mesa's preamp sound and the marshall's power amp warmth to give that great tone.

Latest posts

Back