SLAVE AMPS .......read before I try something, drastic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konstantine3

Reaction score
Can you slave a lesser watt head to a more powerful one?

I wanna try slaving my Riv KH 55 to my Mesa Roadking. Can anyone post some advice on this?

thanks

Kon3

I don't see a problem with that. The signal level should still be the same.

It's been done for years. Make sure you have a speaker or a load resistor on the amp you are putting up front, unless you want to see your tech soon.

What's on the back panel, I'm not familiar with it.
Does the Riv have an an output similar to Boogies line out?

With a Boogie, the line out includes the power tubes in the signal, so you can drive the amp hard, use a dummy load (so it's not deafening), and lower the output with the knob. This gives you the sound of an amp fully overdriven, slaved into another amp's power section (effects return), or rack mounted power amp, and pick whatever output level you want.

If you use a dummy load that's made of a couple of capacitors, don't touch it. It gets hot.

...or your little guy amp in flames....

...or you just like the smell of smoke....

...or you don't really need the services of the little amp any longer...

I've done it with my 50-watt rectoverb to a 30-watt (I think) Peavy Bandit 112. I actually played a gig with this slave setup and had no issues. I don't know how long the Peavy with survive, but it's held its own.

Just got back

What I did was use the slave knob n the RK and sent that to the return loop.

Mesa slave set at 12' clock
Rivera set at 3.

Sounds like heaven with the el 34's and 75 watt celestions of the rivera rig. thanks for the advice everybdy :)

Oh maybe I misled in my poor english

RK to Riv KH55 the Riv is the slave

Just wanted to make sure that I dont mess this very sophistocated amp up

Latest posts

Back