simul sat question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a recommended setup - from the amp's perspective, you're doing the same thing as plugging a 4-ohm cab into the 8-ohm socket - but it won't hurt anything.

You'll lose power (about 30% or so) and dynamics, but it'll work.

A better approach would be to make or buy an adaptor that would put two of the cabs in series for 16 ohms. Then plug that load into the 8-ohm jack and the remaining single 8-ohm cab into the 4-ohm jack. That would result in an optimum match.

I also tried a pair of e34l jjs tubes in the outer sockets but the sound was awful very nasely like I was overloading the input with to much high frequency do I need special tubes the guy I bought the tubes off said they were a touch hotter than the mesa tubes but they would work fine any ideas

This is only a guess, but I suspect you were hearing extreme crossover distortion.

The 'Simulclass' sockets in Mark IVs (and Simul Sats) aren't well-matched to most EL34s. If you look at most Mesa amps that can switch bias between 6L6 and EL34, you get around -55V in 6L6 mode, and around -39V in EL34 mode. And since just about all the amps use the same power transformer now, it's a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison.

I have a recent Mark IV, and it has about -53V on the inner sockets, and about -49V on the outers. That outer number will have most any EL34 running EXTREMELY cold.

I have a bunch of "Siemens" EL34s, and I probably went through forty of them before I found a pair that idled properly in the outer sockets.

No problem!

I think the Mark IV (and Simul Sat) just aren't good candidates for EL34s unless you can go through a lot of tubes to find a pair of 'freaks' that work well.

Or you mod the amp - but those are near the bottom of my list of amps that I would enjoy working on.

AdmiralB said:
Or you mod the amp - but those are near the bottom of my list of amps that I would enjoy working on.

No way! :lol: Mesa's are laid out like the old 70's Cadillacs.....ok maybe not but yeah I know how you feel. If they add anymore crap on their boards it will probably collapse from the amount of holes in the PCB. :)

Greg

You would have to do some pretty good modding to get 2 seperate Bias circuits in place (one for the outer and one for the inner pair).

I don't recommend it and just be happy with 6L6's :)

Greg

Latest posts

Back