Should I trade my DC-5 for a Stiletto Ace?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I trade my DC-5 1 x 12 combo for a Stiletto Ace 2 x 12 combo?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Heck No!

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

insearchoftone

Reaction score
I know the ACE is worth more $$.
I have a pedal for reverb, so that's not an issue.
I may miss the 5 band eq.
I am looking forward to the EL34 vibe. 8)
No $$$ in the trade, just a straight trade.
I'll have to leave the DC Cartel. :(

Still need opinions though.

I wouldn't do it...just buy the ACE and have both!

Seriously though I have a DC-10 and cannot imagine ever letting it go...and I think you really would miss the EQ, I must spend hours playing around with it!

I know this is not the most convincing post but I am one of those that never let's gear go, the one time I did I regreted it so now I just find more room in the basement for everything!

Well, I voted "No", as I sold my Stiletto Deuce II for a yet unseen DC-5. I got tired of my bandmates asking me where my "***" went. Of course, that's not the Stiletto's forte is it? Don't forget the Ace is plenty bright, too. Real bright.

Me, I'd sell the Mk IV. That way you'd have:

Clean to crunch-DC-5
Clean to crunch-Ace
Classic rock Marshall-Ace
Whoa mama!!!-DC-5

The Mk IV's clean channel can't hang with the Ace, IMO, nor can the crunch, while the DC-5 has a great clean channel with a great reverb. Freeing your pedal for the Ace.

Of course YMMV and all that. The Mk IV cleans were to tight for me, and the lead channel was too compressed for my tastes. And the reverb was a big letdown for a flagship amp.

A DC-5 and an Stiletto Ace would make a potent combination.

Sell the Mk IV, buy the Ace, and walk away with cash.

:D

Wow Bob, best advise I've heard in a while. Thank you.
If I wasn't so attached to my Mark IV I would probably do just that.

Good news is that the guy I may trade with and I will take the time to tryout the other's amp.
If it sounds as bright as you say, I may walk away with my DC-5 with a greater appreciation for it. :)

I'd say if you have a nice DC-5 already you really like then don't do the trade. You can always, as long as they're in production, find a nice Stiletto but DC amps obviously are harder to find. For a while I had a DC-5 and Stiletto Ace 1x12. Love both amps.

In my quest to go all heads and no combos I bought a DC-10 head sold my DC-5 then sold the Stiletto in anticipation of buying a Deuce head. My business has been slow, real estate, so I put off buying another Stiletto just for now. I've been gigging exclusively with the DC-10 for months now and would be happy if I never bought another amp. Of course I'm going to buy another amp, I'm mean really, but my point is if you like the DC amps as I do just save up for a Stiletto. If you don't care that much for the DC-5 let it go to a good home.

Since I don't have the Stiletto any longer I have been using the MI Crunch Box to get some reasonable EL34 crunch tones with my DC-10. It certainly doesn't make up for not having a Stiletto but it helps a little. :(

Well as you can see from my signature I did the trade. :mrgreen:
I really like the Stiletto Ace 2x12 Combo.
Tons of tone options.
It really is the Green Monster! :twisted:

It's Marshall like tones were what convinced me to do the trade.

It was funny, while we were trying each others amps out, the other guy really made the DC-5 sing.
I told him not to make me like the DC-5 again, I may keep it.

I still need to spend more time with the Stiletto Ace , but for now it's the new toy in the collection and I like it.

Thanks for your opinions and responses.

JOEY B. said:
Well, you do have the MkIV for when the reverb and EQ options are needed. Have you tried your Fender with the Ace?
Oh the Mark IV, to trade or sell it, any new amp would have to be the all time uber amp for me.

I haven't tried the Fender with the Ace yet Joey.
I won't be able to play it again until next weekend.
We are getting new carpet in the house this week and I had to pack up the music room. :cry:
I refuse to let the carpet folks move my gear.

When I tested the Stiletto Ace out, it was with my LP.

What are you thinking? Maybe the Strat will not be a great axe in front of the Stiletto Ace?

Latest posts

Back