should i trade a three channel for a older early 90's 2 chan

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropped_2_c

Reaction score
i have not heard it so i am unsure, he says it has scratchy pots on a few channels id that a big problem it looks to be in very clean condition all i know since i don't have a serial number is that it does not have the solo option and has a one button footswitch. and i think he said the loop has a volume knob i am unsure of the revision as wel i am more about the tighter more aggro tone than options

scratchy pots are not a big issue...they are an easy DIY fix. I'd go for it....THe only one to regret that decision would be him after he gets your 3ch!

YES... I would go for it too. pots can be cleaned out easily.
The one vol knob in back means it's a SERIES loop :) which is much better than the parallel loop on the DR's, I think everyone would agree.

No matter the serial #, it's still WAY better tone than the 3 chnl's, IMHO.

I wouldn't even blink an eye at that offer ! Check it out !

question this sounds noobish but i have never cleaned pots only changed them out what type of contact cleaner do i need to do this not the canned duster **** right

You can pick up the stuff at radio shack, sometimes it's called "tuner cleaner" because it used to be used for TV tuners I think....

I'd try to steer clear of the stuff that has mineral oil in it, it's all I could find locally at one point in time...it works but it's kinda messy.

More than likely you're playing heavy stuff, right? If you play only with one sound, the two channel would be great. If you want a decent clean tone and more versatility, keep the three channel.

dropped_2_c said:
question this sounds noobish but i have never cleaned pots only changed them out what type of contact cleaner do i need to do this not the canned duster sh!t right

Not a noobish thing at all, just more info as you become more acquainted and experienced with tube amps.

What you need for your potentiometers is: "tuner cleaner" anything that has a silicone lubricant.
Radio Shack tuner cleaner 64-2315 or the [best] Cramolin R-2 or R-5.

While you're at it you should pick up some "contact cleaner" for when you eventually replace your tubes.
this leaves NO residue behind, therefore are great and very safe for tube sockets.
Radio Shack 64-2322, Rawn contact cleaner or (best) Caeon 27.

It makes a huge difference in your tone signal when your tube sockets are clean.

:wink:

ytse_jam said:
More than likely you're playing heavy stuff, right? If you play only with one sound, the two channel would be great. If you want a decent clean tone and more versatility, keep the three channel.

I honestly disagree with the clean channel issue, I can get a NICE clean tone from the orange channel set to clean mode in back and backing off of the pre-gain volume to @ 10:00ish, especially if you use tube rectifier/spongy. The choices are there.
Versatility is there in the 2 channel if you play with it.
I can get most any tone I need with my DR just experimenting with all the modes on the back panel.

all i want is the best high gain i can get with a recto and from what i hear the 2 channel does it better than the 3

best amp improvement in tone i have done lol, the 2 channels are worth their weight in gold.

Back