Should I run the Diode switch on?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyNoise

Reaction score
OK. latley I havne't been all to thrilled with my sound. I have changed guitars but not pickups. I use an SL1 Soloist with Sey duncs in the bridge.
I play hard rock mostly and sometimes it seems a reall strain to get the solo's to come off? Would switching to the diode setting help? I'm wondering about my tubes but they are 8 months old and it a complete tube job from duog's. Any thoughts?

Where are your mids set?

What do you mean strained? Like it's not tight enough to crank the notes out quickly?

The diode is going to give you less sag overall

turning my bass down to 11.30, my mids upto 1.30 and switching to diodes was the best thing i ever did for my tone. well, selling my marshall and getting a mesa was, but you get my point. keep your gain around 2.00 or lower also. give that a go.

:lol:

Ya, by strained I mean doing hammer on and pull offs and PH's. When I'm on my practice amp I have no problems... the notes just jump off quickly and effortlessly.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll be happy with everything after I switch it to the diode setting. I'm running Ruby 6L6's from dougs along with the Tung Sol, etc.

Any suggestions for power tubes that I should try?

last night i switched to diode and began using channel 2 instead of 3 for my crunch/rhythm sound and it's awesome. i don't think i can ever go back to channel 3 for rhythm.

i might use channel 3 for my lead work, but have to go back to the studio before the band gets there to mess around with it.

Platypus said:
Where are your mids set?

What do you mean strained? Like it's not tight enough to crank the notes out quickly?

platypus,

i just wrote that last night i switched my amp to diode, but still using all the stock tubes (dual rectifier 3 channel). do i need to change tubes or switch the BIAS SWITCH? will using silicon diodes (hi power) instead of vacuum (normal) do anything to damage my amp?

in the back it reads, "best to use tube rectifier with EL-34's." does this refer to the rectifier switch at all? i really like the sound of the diodes but do not want to damage my amp :(

pjrake said:
Platypus said:
Where are your mids set?

platypus,

i just wrote that last night i switched my amp to diode, but still using all the stock tubes (dual rectifier 3 channel). do i need to change tubes or switch the BIAS SWITCH? will using silicon diodes (hi power) instead of vacuum (normal) do anything to damage my amp?

in the back it reads, "best to use tube rectifier with EL-34's." does this refer to the rectifier switch at all? i really like the sound of the diodes but do not want to damage my amp :(

No you're fine. The BIAS switch only applies if you replaced your stock 6L6's with EL34 tubes, then you would want to change the bias. As far as diodes or rectifiers, high/low power variac, go buck wild :)

As far as using tube w/ EL34 only, this is due to EL34 lifespan in DR's, won't hurt your amp but it will drain the EL34's life a bit faster. Several members here do this with no problems.

what a relief! i'm here at work thinking i messed up my amp last night!

thanks!

I can't wait to do some dialing in now! I have never played this amp using the diode setting. I always ran modern 3/bold and it alwys had to the tendancey to fart out on top.
I can't wait to try ch 2 and see what it has. And maybe then use ch3 for solo's maybe? We'll see.

Back