Setting up my tone on a .50 Caliber +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulG

Reaction score
I just bought a .50 Caliber + and so far I love the thing, and its my first Boogie. Anyways, the one thing I'm having a bit of trouble with is getting a good metal sound out of it.

See, from reading the manual and playing it seems to get the most gain out of it you have to have the treble kind of high. Now, that sounds good at lower volumes, but once I turn it up a bit it gets kind of ice pick like. I have the graphic eq in the V shape, and I just pull back on the 6600 slider and it remedies it.

But, that leads me to another problem; so now I have a great rhythm tone, but I turn off the GEQ to get some mids back in the signal for solos, and then the treble is back too.

Now, I haven't gotten it to a band practice yet, and therefore not gig levels, so maybe cranking it up will give me the crunch I want and I can ease back on the treble? Otherwise, what can I do to keep the gain levels I want and avoid all the high end?

I know the amp is capable of the sounds I want, because people I have heard using it get great sounds. Pepper Keenan from CoC gets a great tone, and because it has a somewhat Mark series sound to it, I'm sure it can get a tight Metallica-ish sound even with out all the studio trickery.

If it helps, I am using a Fender American fat strat with a Seymour Duncan pearly gates in the bridge, or a Jackson King V, also with a pearly gates, a Laney 4x12 and no pedals.

Sorry for the long first post, but I wanted to make sure I got my point across to get the best responses.

Welcome to the board,

GA-9, Mast-1-4, LM-9, Tr-7, BA-3, M-5, REV-0, Pr-3-5 P

Put the gr eq in a V

80, right below the top white line
240, right above the middle white line
750, right above the middle bottom line
2200, between the top and middle white line
6600, same spot as 2200

2200 and 6600 are the two you'll want to adjust the most. Should be a ripping metal tone for Rhythm and Leads.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back