Save me!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
hey guys..my band had a huge gig last night,and i feel like it was a complete bust.why you say?because my tone absolutly sucked!muddy,muddy,muddy!just a real quick glance...i use all very common knob settings plus ,simul,pentode,tweed.what the f could be causing this?i am plugged into a power strip with a couple of other things.is voltage really an issue that can mess with your tone that much?any other ideas,i really appreciate the help.we are playing the place again tonight and i am tired of this in house sound guy looking at me like i have two heads and sucky tone.

I would say the room would have just as much effect on your tone as your settings, speaker cabs, power, etc.

You might have to try and get some time before anyone shows up where you can EQ the amp for the room. Another option is to get a Behringer DI box for like $30 with cab sim and run direct to the board.

Greg

Your going to have to eq for the room , maybe a bit brighter than you are used too . Crank the presence up a notch or two to compensate for the meatwall .(adoring fans) :)

maybe you're driving it a bit too hard for tweed? i always find tweed too muddy for my ears..

^Same here....tweed at lower volumes is good, but when pushing the amp for an aggressive sound, Full works better!

cool...thanks guys.so tweed for low volumes ,full for power?what do you guys run the masters at compared to the output level?

i usually have my channel volumes between 1.5-4 and my output between 2-4 depending on the desired level of face melting

tweed power helps you get that "brown" sound, a little more breakup at lower volumes, but by doing so you're sacrificing headroom and everything will sound a little dirtier and muddier. at the volumes i usually play i prefer the tightness and articulation you get in full power mode.

what kind of tones are you using and for what genre of music?

i am in a cover band that ranges everything from living colour to ccr to rage against the machine.i like my r1....still struggling a bit with r2(i need to boost it...looking for a tight ac/dc stlye crunch)and i love a powerful,thumping lead channel.

billyg121 said:
i am in a cover band that ranges everything from living colour to ccr to rage against the machine.i like my r1....still struggling a bit with r2(i need to boost it...looking for a tight ac/dc stlye crunch)and i love a powerful,thumping lead channel.

A tip I read on another board was to set R2 first and then go back and set R1. I have to agree since R2 gets really flubby if the bass is set too high. AC/DC is really easy on R2 it's just when you want to have a better crunch that things get a bit tricky.

Are you using 2 EL34's in the Class A sockets?

Greg

i am all 6l6s.....would el34s take away from my heavy thud on my lead channel?

Latest posts

Back