santana's phillips 12AT7

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1701

Reaction score
I read on Santana's website that he has a Phillips 12at7 in his main Mark I. It doesn't specify which position it's in, however. Does anyone know?

You can put a 12at7 into any position without causing any harm. My guess would be v1, this would let you crank the amp up and work the output section more. Either that or whichever position is the phase invertor/splitter. Matched triodes are important there to get the best tone from the output tubes. I thought Carlos had switched to Dumble amps?

kirk1701 said:
well, he is using dumbles, but he uses them in tandem with the Mark I

Glad to hear he is not as mad at Randall Smith as he made out in the Guitar Player interview a couple of years ago!! A Dumble is an over-rated Fender Bassman, to a certain extent so is a Mark I, just solid-state rectified. I'm betting Carlos would sound pretty much the same through a surprising plethora of amps, including some solid-state gear. Not through a POD though, you have to draw the line somewhere!! :D :) :( :shock:

Latest posts

Back