Sample settings please!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've had my recto to about 2 months now, and I've never been happier! Over the whole time, I have not gone a day without turning the dials, and I'm still having a hard time finding a concrete settings! This is expected with a recto, but I'd like to get a little help!

MODERN CHANNEL 3
Tube Recto
Bold

So far, I've had these who settings:

Pres: 12:30
Master: 12
Gain: 2:00-3:00
Bass: 12:00
Mids:12:00
Treble:2:00

I really liked the feel of this setting, bet it was always way too trebly. Off to the side of the cab, it was nice, but when I stood in front of it, it was very thin, harsh, and fizzy.

So, after some tweaking, I came to these settings...

Pres: 11:00
Master:12
Gain: 2-3
Mids: 1:30-2:00
Treble: 12:30

This settings is slightly better on the harshness, but I've lost the nice and smooth feel and thump it had.

And recommended changes to my settings? I'm going to try to dial in a little more treble next time I jam, but I'm worried of dialing that harshness back in. Is the presence a better place to start?

All help is very appreciated!!!

Try to visualize the the dials as having the traditional numbers from 1-10

Try this setting, on channel 3, modern setting wit hthe bold and tube recto

gain at about 7 (about 3 o'clock)
Bass about 8 (3:30 to 4)
Mids at 4 (about 7:30-8)
treble at 6 (1:30 - 2)

presences anywhere from 5-7 (noon - 3 oclock)

Hope this helps

I'll give it a try tomorrow, but could you clarify the mids setting, because 4 out of 10 would not be 7:30....which is it?

I've looked through those settings, but none seem to fit it perfectly either!

If any one else has any suggestions, itis greatly appreciated.

I usually play along to songs so my recto knobs rarely stay in one place for very long...it just depends on the band / song...

I'm still pretty new at tube amps in general and most folks here will probably cringe at my methods, but at the moment, I like to set my presence low (around 8-9:00) then dial in the channel eq's (which usually aren't too far off noon) to get the basic sound. Then use the presence for controlling the overall "harshness". But at the moment i'm standing at

Ch 3 modern / bold / tube rect / fx loop bypassed
Master - 9 - 10:00
Gain - Noon to 3:30 - depends on the music
Bass - Noon to 5:00 - depends on the music
Mid - 10 - 11:00 - this stays pretty constant
Treb - 12:30 - 1:00 - this stays pretty constant

Pres - Anywhere from 8:00 to about 1:00 - depends on the music

-Wrake

Try this..

(All dials are clock face oriented)

Back to 6L6 tubes for now so here's my new one:

Channel 3 Modern
Tube Recto
Bold Power

Presence: 11:00
Volume: 11:00 (higher than this, the mix of pre/post is skewed to my ears)
Gain: 3:00
Mid: 11:00
Treble: 1:00

I've been using this for a while now, works really well for me.
Roll the presence down to 0 if you want some stoner rock sounds, real fuzzed out.

This is my generic 'every rock song' setting where I don't have to f' with the knobs instead of play my guitar. I am a natural born tweaker so I'm always all over the map but this is my stand by.

hmmm your settings are about the same as mine, let me see what i have my amp set to at this exact moment!

tube rec.
master at 10 o clock
presence at 12:30
gain at 1:45
bass at 11:30
mids at 11 o clock
treble at 1:30

i was just putzing around with the knobs today as i got a new 2x12 cabinet (orange cab! its amazing best sounding 2 by 12 ive ever heard!)

and i was messing with the tone because i am adjusting to the mid range focus the 2 by 12 has, where as the 4 by 12 i had it running thru before was more "open" sounding

the only thing to note is i run my amp at 50 watts (pulled two tubes and a rectifier) and that makes the sound much warmer (to my ears) plus of course this new cabinet is helping out with warmth, its just big and fat and smoothe sounding in a very good way!

oh and low output (comparitively) Dimarzio PAF style pickups, i highly recomend paf style humbuckers, you can bring them up to the strings closer as they dont have such strong magnets and they just have a rich low end and smooth mid and treble, truly they are my secret weapon in tone that i rarely divulge to anyone

Latest posts

Back