Running 6L6/EL34 combo in Mark IV!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Love the Mark...great amp, and really has potential, but I still find myself tweeking.

It's tight and articulate no matter what...something I really like.

The low end, though clear, seems a bit round to my tastes when trying to get a bassier sound.

Would Putting 2 EL-34s in there help this? For rythmn high gain, EL-34s seem to do VERY well, so maybe the mix would help me out a bit.

Let me know what your opinions on the tube configurations for a Mark IV are!

Thanks alot!

I love the mix of el34's with 6l6's, adds a nice depth to the sound. It should help get you a little closer to the sound your after. I prefer the JJ E34L's. I just wish I could put all 4 E34L's in it and see how it sounds, Just something about E34L's I like more than 6L6's.

Idk....for really aggressive high gain rythmn, I think EL-34s just take the cake...it's taken me a while to see that, but I find I far prefer it.

It just has a crunch and kick that the rounder 6L6s can't do :?

I have Svetlana EL-34s in my Mark IV and it sounds great. You can get a tone of EL-34 type grind in Class A and round it out a bit with SimulClass. It's really the best of both worlds in my opinion and I can't see going back to all 6L6s. Rhy2 really comes alive with EL-34s in my opinion.

For me the EL-34's were mandatory for a good R2 sound (Class-A, Triode, Tweed, lots of volume) But the R1 sound became not as full sounding with these tubes in the outer positions, even in simulclass mode. The lead channel is usually so engulfed in preamp gain that the difference is not as obvious. You'll have to try a pair to decide for yourself. I would suggest the SED Winged "C" EL-34's. They didn't wash out so much of the low end from R1 as some of the others that I've tried. I wish GT would get their 6CA7 back into production :cry: .

SEDs and Sveltana seem to be favorites...looks like I'll just have to try it.

I'll keep the 6L6s for a little longer....get my mileage out of them :evil:

Logically, yeah, but the 6L6s are a little too round in the bottom end for me....I think EL-34s will give more of a cut....take the Bogner Uberschall for example...EL-34 power section, and that puppy has some bottom.

I think it will allow me to utilize the controls of the bass a bit more too.

Looks like I'm in the minority here but I'm a fan of all 6L6. I like that rounder tone and big smooth bottom end. I find to my taste I can get enough crunch with sharp pick attacks. I think my R2 settings are Gain 8 pushed, mids 5 bass 2.5, treble 8, presence 6.5 pushed. No G-EQ. Full power, simuclass, triode.. Clear and and sharp when you dig in.

I've heard the reviews but I think I like my sound to much now to mess with it.

I currently use (4) 6l6’s myself (SED’s)

For years I used stock Mesa tubes with (4) 6l6’s and then went to the 6l6/el34 combination (still mesa tubes) really improved the r2 channel allot IMHO. Last year when I got involved with this board I did a fair amount of reading on tubes and made a decision and went with a set of tubes from www.dougstubes.com something told me to go with (4) 6l6’s and I did my amp has never sounded better, it was a night and day difference from when I use to use the Mesa stock (4) 6l6’s

However! I’m not saying this is the way to go. Although I currently use (4) 6l6’s I now have a set of EL34’s (SED’s)on hand. I think both setups yield there certain magic.

Sooo with my long winded story, get some EL34’s it’s a cheap investment that will give you a entire new pallet of sounds.

Almost forgot if you run EL34’s class A it’s a little easier to control bedroom levels, a nice little benefit.

I tried two mesa EL34's in my Mark IV when I had it and did not like the result. It lacked the meaty, ballsy sound I was after. I could hear it tighten it up even more though, but for me the Mark IV was too tight to begin with (hence why I have a Roadster now). Your results may vary. I was using GT 6L6's btw...

MusicManJP6 said:
I tried two mesa EL34's in my Mark IV when I had it and did not like the result. It lacked the meaty, ballsy sound I was after. I could hear it tighten it up even more though, but for me the Mark IV was too tight to begin with (hence why I have a Roadster now). Your results may vary. I was using GT 6L6's btw...
I think the lack of balls was due to the GT 6L6's I had the same problem until I switched to Mesa Tubes, and now I am debating getting JJ tubes but I heard that JJ's add a lot of noise.

I stuck a pair of Winged C EL34's in with a pair of GT6L6GE's and it's pretty good!

Still waiting on GT to get back to making the 6CA7 as well though......

I just find that the MKIV wanted to blow the roof off my house through my (closed back) quad box. With the EL34's it will still blow the roof off, but I'll probably see where it lands! :p

Latest posts

Back