Roadster versus Stiletto Ace versus Cornford MK 50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleMind

Reaction score
Hei,
another stupid question from me. I hope someone of you finds the time to write and answer it. As i mentioned before i am playing Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, SRV, Timmons and once in a while metallica kind of stuff. I did some massive research on the net. I had almost ordered the MEsa Roadster when i stumbled over the Cornford + read some less favorouble threads about the Roadster. Is there someone who played one or all of the three amps and has some opinion regarding their quirks, weaknesses, strength and i don`t mean specs, just sound and applicationns.

Well, Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, SRV, and Timmons play neither of the amps mentioned! Of the amps mentioned though, I'm leaning towards the Ace, but that's me!

jbird said:
Well, Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, SRV, and Timmons play neither of the amps mentioned! Of the amps mentioned though, I'm leaning towards the Ace, but that's me!
Timmons plays the Stiletto Trident and the Lonestar. Especially the last lacks maybe a little bit gain? More a Blues amp?

I have tried all three and here is my take:

Roadster: Awesome amp, but don't like the "recto" type distortion. It is more fizzy and loose to my ears than either of the other two in channels 3,4.

Stilletto: has a grind similar to a Marshall, but still has its own unique character. Tighter than the Roadster, more upper midrange and treble, but not fizzy. Has the delicious sustain and compression characteristics of all Mesa's, but not overly compressed so that you lose definition.

Cornford: Closer to a Marshall in spite of using 5881 power tubes. Has more fuzz than smooth distortion, much less compression which means this amp is the most unforgiving of the 3. Very articulate, but not as tight as a VHT or Diezel. It shows your mistakes very clearly, but rewards the precise.

Hope that helps.

BTW if I could afford it, my rig would be a A/B/C rig with the Mesa MKIV, Stilletto, and the Cornford MK50

Hei Ursinus,
i think we have the same taste. Thought the same. Maybe the only way to get all the sounds one wishes is to get it all. I think i go for the Stiletto Ace now and the Cornford later or vice versa.

Back