Roadster tone update ..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xscottx9

Reaction score
Well . .had my Roadtser now for a couple weeks. I am upgrading it to a Road King II, not because the RK II will sound any better, just for the ability assign cabs, and of course tube type. I have a Marshall 4x12, and a Mesa 2x12 *modifying* it to a 1/2 back ..

All I can say about this thing is it sounds amazing .. It has taken me some time to dial in a good high gain sound, but I blame that on my Burstbuckers in my Les Paul being a "muddy" pickup to begin with.

Channel 1: Sweet, Sweet, Clean .. It is very friendly, and sounds nothing like the DR cleans. It actually sounds alot like my DSL50 clean, but better, with alot more Headroom, and alot more tonal range.

Channel 2: I can pretty much duplicate Channel 1 on channel 2, which is nice. Set Channel 1 for tweed, then duplicate it on 2. Then go back and change channel to to Fat, and get that super clean chimey thing going. Channel 2 now sounds like Channel 1's tweed, and if you flip the switch to Brit, and crank the bass. . you are in low gain marshall land. The Brit setting on this amp is CLEAN only, if you add any gain, it gets extremely WOOFY, with a real muffled icky overdrive sound. But if you keep gain 12:00- 1:00 your og .

Channel 3: this is where I tweaked the most, and after messing with modern mode for 2 weeks .. switched to vintage, and found the sound I was looking for. I had to crank the bass, and the volume more in vintage mode, but it really opened up the gain. Not as woofy, more sizzle, more recto crunch.

Channel 4: Basic recto High gain ..

Everything is on 100 watts/rectifier/Variac ..

The Effects loop just plain works. I fought it with my DR.

Reverb sounds good.

I have thrown in Ruby EL34's, and JJ E34L's .. the Ruby's sound very nice. Alot louder than the mesa 6L6's. The JJ's did not sound so good, made the amp alot boomier. The Ruby's by far blew away the JJ's in EL34 mode. I am running the stock tubes again, since I am trading it back in for the RK II .. but the EL34 really added some sizzle. It also made the Clean channels a tad more OD pedal friendly.

peace.

also .. I use a Keeley SD-1 to boost my High gain stuff. It tightens up the bass, and adds that extra crunch. Set to 100% Volume 0% gain, and 40% tone. It is needed with my Burstbucker pickups, but not needed with my EMG's ..

Latest posts

Back