Roadster Lead Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vertigo_

Reaction score
I am trying to setup a nice smooth lead tone for the channel 3 of the Roadster. I have tried multiple things but haven't found anything that is WOW from the get go.

I know finding the right tone is a long process and I wanted to see what kind of setting are you guys using to get the lead tone?

There's two lead tones I like in the Roadster.. I'll share both. Keep in mind I have the loop bypassed on each with a good bit of volume juicing through them which does a lot for the amps tone. Neither of these will sound that great at bedroom volumes.

Ch 3, Vintage, bold/diodes (switch to spongy/tube rect. if you like it more)
Presence: 7 to 10 o'clock depending on the setting/band/song/room etc
Bass: 11 o'clock
Mid: cranked
Treble: 1-2 o'clock
Gain: 12-1 o'clock
Add a tiny bit of reverb if the room is stiff.

Ch 2, Brit, bold/diodes
Presence: 7 o'clock (off completely)
Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain: all dimed.
This really opens up when you bring the volume to 9 o'clock or higher (just master, I don't use the output). It's not a smooth/singing lead tone, but it's my favorite lead tone in the amp. Very open sounding and articulate.

my lead tone setting is channel 3 set to spongy ,100 watts in the back and when i solo i hit the solo button for a bit of a boost, pres 1,bass all, mid 2, treb 2, gain 3,master 9, i run effects ,boss gt 8 via the 4 cable method through the loop,and only use it for delays and chorus ,that adds great color to my lead sound ,now i noticed i can replicate a wide range of groups from zz top ,zakk wylde, dream theater ect, great for classic rock like zeppelin and bad company .the amp master volume ,i adjust to clubs or what band im playing in and i adjust the solo volume just a hair louder than the amp master.check out some live recordings of my band and you can get the idea a little. www.myspace.com/blessedhellride1

vertigo_ said:
I am trying to setup a nice smooth lead tone for the channel 3 of the Roadster. I have tried multiple things but haven't found anything that is WOW from the get go.

I know finding the right tone is a long process and I wanted to see what kind of setting are you guys using to get the lead tone?

Try channel 4, diodes, 100 watts, presence almost off, mids and treble between 1-2 oclock and bass around 12 oclock. Set your gain to taste, I like keeping mine low and boosting the amp with the Fulltone OCD or BB Preamp. Keep in mind I also have NOS tubes in my preamp which play into how smooth the amp as a whole sound.

I like the manual suggested "hot solo liquid lead" for my lead tones. It sounds very good -- of course, boosted sounds better. I also like a compressor with this setting, unboosted, using the solo switch. Sounds very Mark series, but not quite as liquidy.

The Roadster can do a lot for you. Don't give up on it, not for anything. The only amp right now that has me yearning for it is the Stiletto Trident. I keep wondering if the three rectifier tubes will give it some chunk and lower midrange tones. If so, that would be awesome for my situation as a lone guitarist. I could have the upper midrange tones, and have some thundering, chunky low midrange grind, along with chimey cleans for delays, and Marshall crunch!

budlovesaly said:
I like the manual suggested "hot solo liquid lead" for my lead tones. It sounds very good -- of course, boosted sounds better. I also like a compressor with this setting, unboosted, using the solo switch. Sounds very Mark series, but not quite as liquidy.

The Roadster can do a lot for you. Don't give up on it, not for anything. The only amp right now that has me yearning for it is the Stiletto Trident. I keep wondering if the three rectifier tubes will give it some chunk and lower midrange tones. If so, that would be awesome for my situation as a lone guitarist. I could have the upper midrange tones, and have some thundering, chunky low midrange grind, along with chimey cleans for delays, and Marshall crunch!

Tube rectifiers don't give you "chunk". Quite the opposite, actually. They give you "sag". They soften the attack and tend to be more on the quiet side (volume wise, not noise wise) because they aren't as efficient as silicon diode rectifiers. Diode rectifiers give you more chunk, punch, definition, and volume. I personally like the diode rectifiers for all of my sounds including clean and lead. I don't notice a significant change in the midrange response when I switch rectifiers. It's mostly a feel/bass response thing. The only reason it even has three rectifier tubes is because any less wouldn't be able to "rectify" all of the power from 6 EL34s.

Also, a Trident won't have thundering and chunky lows ala the Roadster. A lot of people actually wish the Stiletto series had more low end in general (I don't, but whatever).

Yes, but don't they give you some bass. I didn't mean chuga, chuga. Thanks so much for clarifying what I said. You are a life-saver!

Actually I think it was clear from my first post that I implied bass, and not recto "chuga, chuga" thump. I figured that the triple rectifier would smooth and mash the sound so much, and in my experience with my Roadster, the rectifiers smooth and lower the sound more. The notes aren't as immediate, nor do they jump out at you. From what I understand, the Stiletto is a very fast and immediate amp. I was hoping the Trident would help nullify that characteristic.

You sounded very annoyed by my post on the Trident. I wish I could say sorry, but I'm not sure for what. So I'm right, so I'm wrong, what does it matter?

budlovesaly said:
Yes, but don't they give you some bass. I didn't mean chuga, chuga. Thanks so much for clarifying what I said. You are a life-saver!

I'm not sure what you mean. When I think bass, I usually think thump (leads won't "thump" but usually you don't hear a ton of bass in leads, or at least I don't with how my amp is set). You also did mention "thundering and chunky lows". The tube rectifiers sound thicker/compressed because of their attack characteristics but the diodes are much more punchy, open, and clear. It's almost like to switching from spongy to bold. I prefer diodes for leads because they're still more in-your-face, more open sounding, and have greater clarity and headroom.

If you have the time or space, sit on ch3/4 vintage/modern, juice the volume and output to about noon with the gain anywhere from 12-2 depending on where you like it.. play a few licks and switch back between diode and tube rectifier tracking on the back panel. You'll definitely hear the difference. The difference will be the most apparent on modern mode. You could alternatively set up both channels as identically as possible (don't forget to account for the different presence controls) but put one channel on rectifier tubes and one on diodes and switch back and forth.

Running tube rectifiers on a Trident won't change the "immediate response" a ton, but you'll still notice a difference. It'll still sound way more immediate than a Roadster, though.

Anyway, I'm not annoyed at all. I'm not sure where that impression came from, but then again, it's difficult to detect undertones through words unless you're pretty explicit.

Back