Roadking VS Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RK, same sounds on Ch. 2 and 3 from the three channel, but the Channel 1 and two on the RK are great for flexibility. I also thing that the power tube switching alone is incredible. You can get Channel 3 on the RK cooking hot and use 2 EL 34's. It's blistering. Then, you can have Ch. 4 set up with 4 6L6's and 2 EL 34's for a Simul smooth recto pummeling.
The cabinet switching is fantastic as well.

The RK is still a great amp, but the early DR's to 500 are very special.

Nocturno_Culto said:
What are the differences and what do you prefer, ppl?
Any hint is welcome!

Emanuele

The easiest way to compare a Dual Rec to a RK is to realize that a Dual Rec is a subset of the Road King...a very small subset.

Even though the road king is great, by far one of the best amps ever made, i wouldnt buy it if you are searching for a really good rectifier tone. I would go after a dual/triple/single/tremoverb...you get the idea. If you're a player who doesn't value the pure recto tone as much, i'd go for it.

Nocturno_Culto said:
What are the differences and what do you prefer, ppl?
Any hint is welcome!

Emanuele

I own a dual rectifier solo head. I just sold my roadking series I head last week.
Both sound good, but sound different.
The dual recto's clean is pure mesa clean, sounds great IMO. The roadking's clean is great, versatile, from fender to mesa. Lots of people think the best clean of channel switchers is from CAA od100. To compare with my od100 SH/SE, I found they can sound close.

The distortion, two totaly different animals. To get the Train of Thought of DT to get an initial reaction of the Roadking. The Dual Recto is so hard to beat IMO..
My 0.02

My opinion in the two is the dual is more raw. There is more focus on each channel. THats why most say the 2 channel dr is supperior to the 3 channel. All of the amp is focused more on each channel so the tone is more "raw" It is more defined as a rectifier. Thats how I feel. The RK is obviously more versatile and the clean is better.

I've had several rectifiers and I like the RK the best, it's the most versatile rectifier out there. It can go from Fender Deluxe clean to in your face brutal in the step of a switch and then go to a nice SRV tone to a classic rock tone on the next two steps...... and all of that without any external footpedals. Add a Tubescreamer in the mix and you've got more tone than one man deserves in one amp :wink:

Latest posts

Back