Roadking/ster users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked out Framus Cobras? IMO that is what a 5150 wants to sound like. If you already have a 5150/6505, why not just get a Roadking/ster with it? $20 says they'll sound **** good together, because Mark series amps (similar raw-ness to 5150s, imo) sound fantastic with rectos.

Yeah the Cobras are cool and I do already have a 5150 but I was looking to try and get both the recto and 5150 rhythm tone in one unit. Not necessarily nail it but close enough to use and be happy with it instead of lugging around two heads :)

mJ

I've had a 5150 (head and combo) and I have a Road King, the 5150 is one of the tightest most aggressive amps I've ever heard.... Period!!

And on the other hand, the Rectifier distortion isn't to whimpy either! It can hang in there with the aggressive part, but not the super tight low end part.

Over-all, I like the Rectifier tone soooooo much better than the 5150, it's just more musical and feels more natural when playing. The 5150 almost feels/sounds like a modeling amp that was made for maximun gain, but someone forgot to put a cab simulator on it...... It just feels steril and doesn't breathe. And the clean channel is pretty much non existant on a 5150 (if that's a concern).

I had a 5150 a few years ago, and didn't like it so I sold it.. Then earlier this year I had a GAS attack for a 5150 and wondered why I sold my first 5150. I ended up getting a 5150 combo and quickly realized why I sold the first one :wink: and traded this one off for a different amp.

Thats my $.02 worth

tele_jas said:
I had a 5150 a few years ago, and didn't like it so I sold it.. Then earlier this year I had a GAS attack for a 5150 and wondered why I sold my first 5150. I ended up getting a 5150 combo and quickly realized why I sold the first one :wink: and traded this one off for a different amp.

Thats my $.02 worth

I have to agree, My son bought a 5150 half stack back when they first came out and it was one of the worst sounding amps I ever tried to use. The clean channel was pathetic and the lead channel just had no heart.

I found the same thing with the 5150, i played one at GC and couldn't stand it. No feeling at all and not sure why they bother with clean on it.

I think EVH wanted a single channel but PEavey talked him into adding the rhythm channel so they would have a higher probability of selling more.

But the 5150 cleans aren't a concern for me at all :) I use that channel with the pre gain on 8 or so to get a nice breakup tone and that's what I'm wondering about with regards to the roadking/roadster.

mJ

Latest posts

Back