Road King vs. 2 Channel Dual Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Interesting! Would this also apply to the Roadster? I made a similar thread. Its down below.

No the two dirty channels (3,4) on Roadster do not sound the same, it would be likewise on the Roadking as the channels are the same as Roadster. Hard to describe how exactly the channels 3&4 differ right now (no time) but they aren't voiced the same.

The main difference between ch 3 & 4 ( or 2 & 3 on a 3-ch) is the Presence pot. They are different values and therefore affect different frequencies. There may be some other circuit differences as well as one channel is optimized for Vintage, the other for Modern.

Dom

Channel 4 has a slightly different presence setting. The presence is set much higher than on channel 3. You must set the prescence high one channel 3 to make it the same as the lower presence settings on channel 4.

rabies said:
Elpelotero said:
i've heard several people on here comment that the RK II sounds more like a 2ch than it does to the 3ch.

If that's true, it's strange. Ch 3 & 4 sounded similar in RK1, but different (more gain on Ch 4).

So the RK II dirty channels sound the exact same???? Sound same with same modes engage?

o wait! i totally misunderstood what you were asking!!!!!!!!

what i meant was that the tone of the modern channel on a RK2 exhibits characteristics similar to the modern channel on the older 2ch rectifier models as opposed to the current 3ch. rectifier models. i've heard people say the modern mode on a RK2 is a lot tighter and clearer than most dual recs being sold today.

i now see you meant channel 2 and channel 3 as compared to a 3ch rectifier...the differences between the two channels simply lies in the presence control. the last dirty channel on each rectifier model has the most presence, regardless of it being a roadster, road king, whatever.

EDIT--I just saw everyone else answered the question!

rabies said:
I just feel that a 4 channel amp is overkill, esp. when a lot of the 1960's greats used single channel Marshalls.

Today's musician needs versatility to cover bases. The 60's-70's and even some 80's musicians didn't have such a complex palette to satisfy nor were the designs as complex. The classic musician used his volume and tone knobs and pickup selector on his guitar way more than the modern musician does in general. Something to consider when comparing the technology.

Sure a 4 ch amp can be overkill but at the same time the convenience can be a lifesaver if you need all that. It might save someone from having to A/B amps or from being limited by the choice of a single single ch amp. There are still those that play single ch amps and would have it no other way. I personally flip flop all the time. Sometimes I could get away with using a single channel in the Mark IV or by using my JMP but it is nice to be able to have the versatility of the other channels.

I'm contemplating putting an OD pedal in front of my RKII so I can boost channels 1 and 2 (Tweed and Brit). Since these aren't voiced like a recto... they should yield a different distortion tone.

Personally I think they shoulda made channel 3 the MarkIV lead circuit. :twisted:

If they do that I might buy a RK... Where would they put the 5 band EQ?

Yep, it would by far be THE best amp... I think they should call it the Road Emporer. :p

Latest posts

Back