Road King Series II - Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveythomas

Reaction score
I ordered a Road King Series II Combo in January, just after the release at NAMM.

I had a RK Series I Combo that I was never entirely happy with so I upgraded to the Series II.

The store called today to say that it was in and I went and picked it up.

So far I have only been able to play at low volumes and the first thing I did was dial in the setting I had written down for my Series I.

Some interesting things I noticed. CH1 Clean is swimming in reverb and is pretty bright, I needed to back off on the treble and presence. CH1 Tweed has less reverb (maybe half?) than with the clean setting, but the sound is punchier, bigger, and more up front (if that makes sense). I'm not sure which I like better; perhaps some volume will help me decide.

CH2 Brit - ROCK!!! My Series II definitely has more gain than my Series I ever did on CH2 and the reverb is great here. This is the channel that was giving me the most trouble on the Series I and now, everything is great. I was running the gain at full on the Series I and now I can bring it to 1:00 (one o'clock) and get the same breakup.

CH3 Vintage - ROCK ROCK ROCK!!! Probably where I'll spend quite a bit of my time. Settings seem to be almost exact to my Series I.

CH4 Modern - RECTOROCK!!! Again, settings seem to be the same as they were on the Series I.

I still need to push it a little harder than medium bedroom levels, but so far I am pretty happy with the series II. Hope I have not created too much GAS for anyone with a series I.

My Series I combo came with a fake leather type cover, the Series II combo came with a heavy canvas/nylon type of cover (like a nice backpack is made from). The new one is more "cloth like" and has the mesa logo embroidered on it. I like this new cover better than the Series I.

Im still waiting to turn up the volume. Perhaps tomorrow.

DSC08658.jpg

I switched the red light cover to blue
DSC08659.jpg

DSC08678.jpg

DSC08665.jpg

DSC08664.jpg

Messy office
DSC08671.jpg

Sweet. I still love looking at my RK2. Did you get the Jewel Lamp from Mesa?

Congrats.

daveythomas said:
The jewel lamp came from the music store where I bought the amp. I think it is one of the Fender ones.

Cool. How do you change those? Do they just screw in/out?

Latest posts

Back