Road king MK1 vs MK2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metallicat

Reaction score
what are is the difference between these 2? that is a MK1 on e-bay i was lookin at that's goin for $1k

The BIG difference is in clean tones: they're nice in the original Road King, but nothing particularly special. After it was released, Boogie developed and released the Lone Star, which features the best clean channel they ever created... and thus in the Road King II, Boogie took the clean circuit from the Lone Star and replaced the "average" clean circuitry with it.

So... RK II has superb Lone Star cleans, and also the fantastic Lone Star Reverb unit.

But the RK I still sounds great, and the heavy channels are unchanged.

Read the full details in this review:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Scott

well clean is'nt the most importent thing to me but i still want it to sound good. the RK 1 was what john petrucci used for the train of thought album/tour right?

Yes, but he used his Mesa Formula 150 preamp for clean tones, and still uses it in his "b" rig, which is what went out on the G3 tour in 2007. On the DT world tour he has a Lone Star for cleans and he's back to the Mark IV for his heavy tones, plus the F150 for some of the cleans, too.

Scott

Definitely not horrible. It IS one of the most advanced amps Boogie ever built. They just got a big jump to even better sounding cleans with the Lone Star.

Back