Road King II Settings Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Anyone who has good settings PLEASE POST HERE! I'm lookin' for a much more liquid lead sound and can't do it alone! HELP!!! I'm taking this amp for granted while knowing I shouldn't!!!!!!!

I have really nice lead tone setting at home. It's dialed on a dual rec tho, but it's relatively similar and should get you in the area. it's the best lead sound i've gotten out of a recto so far. varies from santana to metallica as you roll volume.

Try this--its something Ive been expirimenting with and had pretty good results with it in the lead channels/modern mode/tube recto/bold Triple Recto. Back your bass Way down to about 7 or 8 oclock and put your mids @ about 9:30 and your treble between 1 and 2 oclock. This will sound pretty thin untill you turn the gain up to about 2 oclock which will bring the beef to the table. Now alternate pick a note or alternate chunk an open D while you take the presence and start @ noon and turn it clockwise until you get the right amount of chunk and punch for your ear. I like this setting because the tone controls keep everything really tight so it allows you to get carried away with the gain alittle and still keep a solid tight note or chord without flabbing out. This also allows you to roll back the volume and get a stable crunchy raunch or clean-ish tone. Let me know how this works for a fluid solo seting/tight chunky chording setting :D

For my main lead sound, I use Channel 3 Vintage, 2x6L6s, Tube rectifiers. Gain = 2:30/3:00, Treble = 11:00/11:30, Mid = 10:30/11:00, Bass = 9:30/10:00, Presence = 12:00/12:30. This works best with my Ibanez S540LTD with DiMarzio Steve's Special in the bridge. Initially, I had the Mids dialed in at around 2:00. That mid setting gave the guitar a stiffer feel. After reading the manual, I rolled the mids down some. Rolling the mids down did not thin out the tone, but, it made playing leads feel more "fluid".

(BTW, I have a JAN Phillips 12AX7 in V1, Tung Sol RI 12AX7s in V2 & 3, finally, I have a JJ Balanced 12AX7 in V6 (phase inverter), so, YMMV)

Great suggestions, but anyone who has a RK II themselves? I use Ch 3 a lot with OD 2xEL34s on Vintage. I like that for lead mostly but I'm still searching.

ubersam said:
For my main lead sound, I use Channel 3 Vintage, 2x6L6s, Tube rectifiers. Gain = 2:30/3:00, Treble = 11:00/11:30, Mid = 10:30/11:00, Bass = 9:30/10:00, Presence = 12:00/12:30. This works best with my Ibanez S540LTD with DiMarzio Steve's Special in the bridge. Initially, I had the Mids dialed in at around 2:00. That mid setting gave the guitar a stiffer feel. After reading the manual, I rolled the mids down some. Rolling the mids down did not thin out the tone, but, it made playing leads feel more "fluid".

(BTW, I have a JAN Phillips 12AX7 in V1, Tung Sol RI 12AX7s in V2 & 3, finally, I have a JJ Balanced 12AX7 in V6 (phase inverter), so, YMMV)

nice post--interesting info! :D

i just dialed in those settins ubersam, i like what im gettin. i think i need to turn my gain up jst a lil more. im using el's cuz i can barely tell the diff but think i like the el34s more

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=pelotero&AID=3677671

try that link out. if i'm gonna give you one, minus well give em all. enjoy.

Latest posts

Back