RKII > Mk IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get a Mark-esque lead tone out of a RKII? I'm talkin' any way remotely possible. Gimme all you got: OD's, Eq's, anything. I am 18 and will not be gettin' rid of my RKII A. It's a monster of an amp that can cater to all my stylings for the rest of my life! and B. The cleans are finally dialed in and way too lush to give up. So how bout it: Mark IV sounds out of a RKII: suggestions?!

Not really, the closest you'll get is using the vintage mode with a nice midrangey OD like a TS808 or something. Mark's are their own thing altogether.

edit: **** you have some nice gear for an 18 year old :p

Havent played the RKII,but as Platypus said the NK's are there own thing,alot smoother tha a recto,any recto.The only thing which comes close is a recto 2 channel and even they arent as smooth as a MK

but a good boost/od will smoothen out the RKII a bit

I say if ya want MK tone,get a MK
If ya want Recto tone,get a recto

compltly different animals

ohh glad to hear yoy=u are really enjoying your RK,post some clips of that Clean,one is dying to hear the clean tones in these,Im sure Im right in saying these are the same clean circuits as found in the lonestars??

Actually boogiebabies got a similar sound to a IIC+ a few years ago according to the boards...

Boogiebabies said:
I have been having fun tweaking a two day old Road King to see how close it comes to a IIC+ and I am getting close.

[Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:08 pm]

That is a nice quote but I wonder just how close was. Close like handgrenade close or close like doubletake and make sure you aren't plugged into the IIC+?

I get a Mark'ish tone in either the RAW or vintage Mode with a BB Preamp.....it will Never be as tight as a MK IV.

Russ said:
That is a nice quote but I wonder just how close was. Close like handgrenade close or close like doubletake and make sure you aren't plugged into the IIC+?

Haha, you gotta wonder. Oh well.
In boogiebabies we trust.

I don't think you could pull of a Mark IV tone from the RKII ever.. I have both right on top of each other, so I can compare them easily.. the MKIV is definitely a different beast. You should just get one instead of trying to mimic it, cuz you'll just be there forever.

mrd said:
I don't think you could pull of a Mark IV tone from the RKII ever.. I have both right on top of each other, so I can compare them easily.. the MKIV is definitely a different beast. You should just get one instead of trying to mimic it, cuz you'll just be there forever.

You don't seem to get the "boogiebabies" factor. That guy can do anything. ANYTHING!

Plug in a good quality 30 channel graphic EQ between the guitar and amp and after setting it to match you'll no doubt be 99.5% there. If you've never tried that you're in for a treat!

123thefirst said:
Plug in a good quality 30 channel graphic EQ between the guitar and amp and after setting it to match you'll no doubt be 99.5% there. If you've never tried that you're in for a treat!

+1, I'll add that in addition to my BB-Preamp, I use an MXR 10 Band EQ...and it does make the RK II sound very Mark'ish -- at least in the band mix......isolated it may not be as convincing.

9 Steps to Mark tone on a RKI:

1. TS-808 between amp and guitar. Tone dimed. No overdrive. Level to taste. This will tighten things up and make them sizzle.
2. Boss EQ or some other EQ. Use to dial out the frequencies that cause the harsh recto chainsaw sound. Put this in the serial loop.
3. Swap two of the 6L6 (the ones that are active in the "2x6L6 Progressive Linkage setting") with yellowjackets and EL84s.
4. Set the progressive linkage so you're using 2x6L6 and 2xEL84s
5. Variac to Spongy. Airs out the sound and reduces the wattage.
6. Output 75% of full. Brings out the sizzle of the power tube combination (6L6 and EL84). The yellowjackets/84's run in class-A, and the 6L6 in AB giving a faux simul-class character to the sound.
6. Set channel master lower than output master, and to taste. This ensures that your tone is dominated by the power tubes, and not the harsh recto preamp.
7. Dial up the mids on the amp, but dial them down on the Boss EQ.
8. Bass, treble, and presence to taste.
9. Set your RK to Ch. 3 / Vintage

Back