Reverb Problems on Series 1 Rectoverb Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuchDaddy

Reaction score
First of all, I would like the thank the folks on this forum who have helped me with this amp so far. I was having several problems with it and most of them have been solved with their help.

To recap, I got the rectoverb from e-bay and had some issues. Here is what I have already done:
1) replaced all 5 preamp tubes (Electroharmonix 12ax7EH)
2) cleaned and retensioned all tube sockets
3) some of my humming problems were due to effects using the same power supply and not the amp at all, so I go that figured out
4) Cleaned the jacks on the leads to the reverb tank

Also, the previous owner stated that the reverb did not work when he got the amp, but that he fixed it by replacing the reverb tank. He replaced it with a new "Accutronics 9AB2A1B" tank and new leads.

That took care of most of my problems, but...

1) The reverb sounds very distorted. It gives a distorted "sizzle". At first I thought it was only happening on the rhythm channel, but it is happening on both. It's just much more noticeable on the rhythm channel because it is set for a clean tone.

2) Even when the reverb is turned off at the footswitch, I still get some of that sizzly reverb sound, though not as much. If I turn the reverb pot all the way down it goes away, but other wise, I get some reverb whether I want it or not.

3) The reverb cuts in and out. I have only noticed this on the rhythm channel. The cutting in and out seems sensitive to what I am playing, and sometimes I can make it happen by playing certain notes.

"Stokes" over on the Tube Forum suggestes that this might be a grounding problem in the reverb circuit. Is this anything a noob like me can fix, or would it be better left to a proffessional?

I think I may be at the point where I need to take it to a professional, but I'd like to see if anybody has any advice first.

Latest posts

Back