replacing tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
How should I change the tubes on my combo? I bought a pair of the same stock tubes for emergency use.

Turn off the amp, let it cool down, grab a towel and pull down the tubes, then plug in the new ones?

and now everything should work?

Correct. Make sure the pins are lined up-but its pretty fool-proof since there is a key on the tube to make sure everything lines up. Before you insert the new tubes you should bend the tangs in a bit on the amp side around the socket to ensure the tube stays in place. Other than that, Just make sure the amp is unplugged from the wall before you change them :wink:

The tubes are seated quite tight! Instead of a straight down yank, try a slight "wiggle" as you gently pull the tubes down! Try using both hand's fingers, evenly spaced, instead of one hand, fisted around the tube! The Power tubes (6L6 or EL34's) are matched in pairs, two outside, two inside! Keep them paired that way, one packege of two tubes to the inside, and one package to the outside! Good Luck!

When pulling the tubes out, don't be afraid to wiggle the tubes a little bit... but not alot!! Some tubes are harder to get out than others and some tubes are harder to get in than others. As long as you have them lined up correctly when putting them back in, don't be afraid to push on them.

Latest posts

Back