Redoing the grill cloth on 4x12 Recto Slant Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResearchTriangle

Reaction score
I've searched high and low but cannot find any reference on how to redo the cloth on a mesa 4x12... :cry:

I know where to buy the cloth online, and I know Mesa sells predone grills at $200 (no thanks!), but does anyone know how to get the grill area off and separated from the rest of the cab? Has anyone done this before? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I plan on putting a nice gold weave on my black-tolex Recto 4x12 8)

hey, you know i've been wanting to do this to mine for a year now because the original black grill got punctured. I also have a Standard Slant Oversized 4x12. If you take yours off and it's in good condition, i'll buy it off you for a reasonable price.

As for removing it, open the back of the cab and you'll see the wood framing is attached with a few screws. The wood framing itself is kind of like a plus sign +, or a t. The grill cloth itself appears to be glued to this wood frame. I really don't know though. I've never tried removing it.

Another option is to peel off the gray piping along the outside and see if you can wedge out the cloth.

I know you are going to have to remove A LOT of staples and re-staple the new cloth. One of the forumites here did this procedure to his amp, but it's a combo, not a 4x12.

I once emailed MESA about it and they said they could help me over the phone.

i dunno bout urs, but mine, i had to take out the speakers (of course), and the frame that the cloth is stapled to (yes, staples) is attached to the cabinet with velcro. but there must be a million staples there. took forever taking them all out. then u just measire what size cloth it is, cut the new one and staple back on (or whatever you wanna do to put it back on). hen reload speakers, and you should be done.

Just a thought: the cabinet i did this for isnt a new cab, maybe a few years im not sure (bought it used). its a bit old, so mesa may have changed the way they make their cabinets.

hope this helps you out a bit though

Follow my tutorial and the one that's referenced in the thread, and you should have plenty of info to get you through the conversion. Good luck! :)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1182222

Hi Hal, I saw your tutorial...I have a feeling a 4x12 recto cab isn't set up the same way as the combo from your instructions though, am I right?

bump...

1. http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech10.html Looking at the biege mesa jute...I'm a little confused on what you get for $55. Is it a square yard, or 30 in x 1 yard? This is could get expensive....

2. Anyone know where to buy the molded pieces that cover the corners of the mesa cab? I'd love to switch to beige to match the new grill.

ResearchTriangle said:
Hi Hal, I saw your tutorial...I have a feeling a 4x12 recto cab isn't set up the same way as the combo from your instructions though, am I right?
Your grill will be attached from the inside, so disassembly will be different, but shouldn't be too difficult. From there on though, changing your grill should be roughly the same as changing mine. BTW, measure your existing grill to see how big it is. You should be able to get away with a single yard of fabric (36"x30"), but measure it to make sure. Also, the tutorial I used as reference in my thread is about recovering the grill on a 4x12.

Back